Sealand Toilet blocked

mystic

Hi,

Only had our Sundance a few days, so really think it might be our way of working, but this morning, the toilet, that had been working great, blocked. Gave a few large bubbles when flushed, but nothing shifted.

Spent the next few hours trying to see where blockage was, and ended up finally clearing it. Seemed to be right at the tank, where the toilet pipe went in.

Think the problem might have been that we have been emptying the tanks ever two days. The black tank was never very full, but emptied it to save smell. Going to try filling the black tank 1/3rd full with water after emptying, then also adding a bucket of water thru the toilet before dumping. I feel we just did not have enough water in the tank to move all the solids.

Certainly welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks

Peter

K

Ken Washington

Peter,
Make sure to put some chemicals in to control the odor. The tank will dump better if at least almost full.

Ken

jpmorgan37

Peter;

The black water tank needs plenty of water and a good digestive chemical to prevent having problems. If you can, wait until the tank is full to dump. You will know when it's full, because it will "burp" when you flush the toilet. When you use the toilet, flush with plenty of water. Make sure that when you dump the black tank, that you flush it well with clear water. It's not a bad idea that once in awhile, after you have flushed it and getting ready to travel, put in about 10 gallons of clear water and a 1/4 cup of "original" Dawn dishwashing detergent and then drive. This will really help to clean the inside of the tank. Some folks add a bag of ice cubes just before they start driving. This will help break up any solids that may be there.

John

Handy

A Florida camper
I add a 3 pound coffee can full of rock salt and about 5 gal of water to black tank and go down the road. That really cleans out that tank.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We use the recomended 4 oz. of RV waste tank stuff. Whatever is on sale at Camping World. We use plenty of water when flushing solids. Our black tank routine includes both of us and we use FRS radios to communicate. We usually don't dump until the tank is full (burps). I will go outside and Lin tells me she's ready and steps on the pedal to open the ball. I then pull the valve. This allows plenty of air to enter the tank and help with the flow. Once I see that the flow has slowed down I turn on the flusher and leave it on. Lin keeps the pedal down and we FILL the tank again. She watches and listens then lets me know when it's full again then I pull the valve while she keeps the pedal down. We may repeat this one more time. Once I see clean water coming out consistently I let her know we're done. She lets up on the pedal, I close the valve,let the flusher run a bit longer to get some water into the tank. Shut off the flusher and add 4 oz. of chemical and we're done. We have never had a problem with our tank and believe me when I tell you. I'm hard on the tank.:D

mystic

Hi,

Thanks for all that information. Makes a lot of sense. Definately got to use more water. We were in drought where we hade our house, and only had tank water for everything, so we have become used to using very little water. Just got to get over that and use more of the stuff.

Thanks heaps.

Peter

mystic

Hi,

Had to get really serious with this problem today. It was not solved, and the toilet was getting blocked every day. Poking a wire "snake" tended to clear it for a while, but I felt there was a serious obstruction at the tank entrance.
Our dealer had never had to do anything in that section, so had no real suggestions, other than to call a plumber.
Instead, I saw that if I could find a coupling for the 3" sewer pipe, I could cut the pipe near the bend at the tank, and actually see what was wrong. Finding a suitable coupling was not easy as these US sizes are not the same as Australian, but finally found a plumbing supply shop that offered me a rubber coupling with screw clamps that would take up the size difference.

So back at the van, I cut through the pipe to find heaps of paper. Found the obstruction at the tank entrance to be two toilet tablets that had not dissolved, and all was sitting on a pile of paper. Cleared the mess, and refitted the pipe with new sleeve, and toilet worked well again.

The attached picture is of the rubber sleeve over the cut pipe.

pipe-coupling.jpg

Lesson learned.....
The toilet paper we had been sold as suitable - wasn't.

We have adopted a "no paper at all down the toilet" rule until we can find some paper that dissolves readily.

Thanks for the excelent suggestions on how to manage our black tank.

Peter

Last edited:

Princess Kathleen

AS you know we had a similar problem of blockage...as a result of this forum...we bought a flush king...DH says that the flush king should be in everyones basement.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In a different post on a similar subject, I think it was chopperbill that mentioned the 1/2 jar of water and single sheet of TP shake test. We were surprised to see how well it works. We'd been using Charmin single ply and/or Cottonelle single ply. Neither one passed the test. Angel Soft 2 ply passed the test with flying colors. And at only .97 cents a 4 pk at Wally World.:p

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Oldlthrnecksgirl said:
It is amazing how interesting a discussion on toilet paper can be once you own a fifth wheel. :D

You sure hit the nail on the head with this one.:) I was just sitting here thinking of how many of us would ask the neighbor, what kind of toilet paper do you use.:D ....Ken

kurt999

I would recommend emptying at 3/4 full. Use the flush connection if you have one.
I had the same problem. I built a reverse flush out and low and behold a large cut out piece of plastic washed out. Very messy but work good since.None