TPMS Helped, Maybe, Probably

MTPockets

I purchased and installed the TST system in March during the Heartland Florida Rally. Been travelling since. A couple days ago I rec'd my first alarm while travelling North and descending RT 145 from Lizard Head Pass in SW Colorado. This is a narrow winding road and I was in 2nd gear from 20 - 30 MPH occasionally having to brake to bring my speed down. Nearing the bottom is when the alarm sounded so I checked mirrors and saw nothing and a 1/4 mile later there was a small area that I could pull off. Checked all the tires - no problem, then it dawned on me to look more closely at the monitor - it was the temperature alarm. My front truck brakes were over the 158 degree preset, actually the monitor temp for front tires was 169, all other tires were under 100. I don't really know if 169 is excessive, but we sat for about 30 minutes until temp dropped and off we went. We've been on similar downgrades before, but I guess I was braking more than I realized this time. Anyway, I'm happy to have the system.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Sounds like heat transfer from brake pads due to excess braking. Could of conducted through rims into stem or just internal heated tire air. If trailer brakes did not show a raise in heat for trailer tires I would check trailer brakes and see if they need adjusting. All brakes should work to slow vehicles not just TV fronts.

KiwiRVer

Brakes heat up to much higher temperatures than you were experiencing but your TPMS system was actually measuring the heat in the tire. The tire is the interface between the braking system and the road and is therefore experiencing considerable friction when slowing the vehicle and therefore the tire (and the air in it) also heats up. The temperature you experienced was not at all unsual and the TPMS system actually did its job of reporting that even though it is likely there was no actual problem with the tire.

The temperature alarm on a TPMS system is designed to advise you when the tire experiences excessive heating due to excessive friction on the road when travelling in a normal situation e.g. a flat road. This might occur because a brake or bearing is binding causing the same heating conditions that you experienced going down a long down grade. The difference was that in your case it was a desirable situation as opposed to the binding situation which would not be desirable.