How Necessary is a Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmichael

Okay, been feeling enough like a green newbie just in terms of Rv'ing, but now I'm being told by a couple folks that I should be taking along a weapon if I"m headed cross country. It's been about 40 years since I fired an M16, and I'm about as green to weapons as I am to rv'ing...frankly the idea of buying and becoming proficient enough with a loaded gun not to endanger myself or my dogs has me jittery - especially since I intend to pull out in just a couple days.

Just how crucial is a self-defense weapon when traveling and camping these days? Are there any other practical options (tasers, pepper spray, alarms, etc)

I'm not interested in starting a debate on gun rights or ownership - just trying to find out the reality in regards to need.

Thanks!

mdamerell

Personal choice. Be very careful about laws in different states. They are different for stopping (state) and passing through (federal). In some states Tasers and pepper spray are governed just like the firearm, so do your research.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have camped for years with out a weapon. And I have camped alone for the past 4 years as a single. I have never felt like I needed a gun. But I have been very carful about where I camped an where I have gone. Before you go get a weapon I would agree that you should become very aware of the local laws for guns in the states you plan to travel.

I will shortly be a gun owner but not because I feel the need to be armed.

Kevin

GOTTOYS

Haven't needed one for the past 67 years...I carry my 12 gauge only because I have it and don't want to leave it at home when I'm not there. Don't think I even have ammo. A friend took a class for concealed carry. The thing they stressed more than anything was to call your lawyer as soon as you hung up from calling 911 and plan on a long expensive legal battle. I'm willing to take my chances and have no plans to carry a sidearm. This isn't the wild west and I'm not a cowboy. I just stay out of obviously bad looking areas. I'm thinking all this gun-toting is the latest fad...Let the flames begin...Don

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
While you ponder the need for a firearm you may want to get a can or 2 or wasp spray to leave sitting around your coach. It's not a legal issue to possess and doesn't require great proficiency to disable an attacker. If you miss there is no worry about who might be on the other side of the wall.
Just a suggestion....

eddylives

Another item I hear people carry is a flare gun.....packs a punch and is legal as far as I know , pretty easy to start a big fire though lol.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do whatever makes you feel safe and secure. Just hope it's enough if the time ever comes that you need to use your choice.

kowAlski631

Flare guns can cause a lot of damage to YOUR property. Check out the state laws & follow them to the letter. Don't know about you, but if anyone would get busted it would be us, so we don't chance anything.
We do have protection with us, but what's nearby depends on our zip code at the moment.
We do check out the campgrounds before we check in & if either of us have any qualms, we leave them & there. Same goes for any rest stops or fuel stops. Use common sense.

Kbvols

A firearm is of little use if you 1- don't know how to use it and 2- are not prepared to use it if the need arises. As Kevin indicated above be a little diligent about where you stay and go and you should be fine no different than you have done for last 40 years. Enjoy your cross country trip!!

Last edited:

danemayer

I've been reading up on some of the legal issues recently. One issue that intrigues me is the concept of RV as your home. If I understand this correctly, many states only consider the RV to be your home when you're not hooked up to the tow vehicle, and you have utilities connected. While towing, the RV is considered part of your tow vehicle and is not your home. Properly storing the gun and the ammunition to comply with transport laws could turn out to be important if the RV is treated as a vehicle.

Another interesting issue is that while Federal law allows you to transport a gun across a state that requires special licensing to posess a gun, without having to get that special license, some of the gun unfriendly states are arresting and prosecuting anyway. They are defying Federal law (which supersedes state and local law), but they allow an affirmative defense that relies on the Federal law. So eventually you will be acquitted. Their objective is to harass gun owners, cost you time and money, and confiscate your gun.

As was said earlier, know the law.

MTPockets

How necessary? When your life or property are threatened is when I believe it becomes necessary. The individual must chose what to do if that occurs; not someone else.

donr827

I have always carried one but have never had a reason to use it. It is important that you know how to shoot accurately to protect other campers and their property. It should always be the last resort of protection. If possible, try to walk away from a confrontation. Where you camp comes into the picture has to how much you need to carry a gun. JMO
Don

Birchwood

My thought is do I really want to shoot someone.I would surrender anything I have rather than gun someone down.The only people that carry guns in Canada are soldiers,law enforcement,hunters and criminals.

szewczyk_john

Birchwood, I understand your opinion. However too many criminals will want to take the few things that I will not surrender. My freedom and my family's health. I can replace possessions and objects but somethings are not replaceable. A kid in Pittsburgh lost his life after he gave his attacker his new $350.00 Nike shoes. The attacker then laughed at him for not being "man enough" to defend those shoes and shot him in the chest, then he turned and shot the girlfriend who survived and identified the criminal. Another 3 time loser who was sentenced to spending all of his life behind bars at the taxpayers expense.

dewwood

I agree with the above respondents. It is a personal choice and if one is not comfortable owning or handling a gun that is their choice. I would recommend carrying something. We enjoy the outdoors and carry bear spray which will work on most anything man or beast. It is regulated in some states similar to guns but we feel it a necessary option when hiking in some areas. I feel it would be easier to explain bear spray to an officer than a gun.

After all that I do have a concealed carry permit from my home state and from Utah.

B

BouseBill

John, a lot of good advice here and I'll add my .02 also. If you don't have the time or facilities to stay proficient with a sidearm then my advice would be some other form of self defense. The wife and I volunteer at a county shooting range during the winter season and I can only tell you stories of all the people in the last 18 months that have bought firearms......that have no business at all owning one, but because of the political atmosphere in D.C they bought. You are a danger to yourself, and others if you can't stay proficient and KNOW what you're doing with a weapon. I'll repeat, what others have already said. Know the laws of your location and where you're going.

Safe Travels to you.

Bill

dave10a

I have not carried a weapon while doing normal RV'ing since I started in 1990. I have carried my .44 mag while fishing in the Rockies to scare off Grizzlies. I get concerned about many people who are RV'ing that are carrying weapons, but don't have the tactical skills to use them. I think they call that paranoid or the "John Wayne" syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.