Batteries not charging

cmck04

We recently got brand new $250 batteries for our 2010 elkridge . We have only owned it for 4 months but the batteries will not hold a charge. I read about converter problems but unsure of where to locate and what to look for. Also recently our appolo half time oven stopped working. There is no power to it. Could this be related? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

danemayer

Hi cmck04,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

We have a 12V block diagram and troubleshooting guide that will help you figure out what's going on with the batteries. Here's a link.

The Power Converter changes 110V AC into 12V DC to charge the batteries and help run the 12V lighting, furnace, thermostat, and circuit boards in the refrigerator and water heater, and other things. It's usually located behind the basement wall. If you picture a straight line between the battery compartment and the fuse box, you'll probably find the converter on that line, near the fuse box. The panel on the basement wall by the UDC usually has three screws on the left side and three coming into its edge from the UDC.

If you don't have your manuals, we have 243 posted in the manuals section of the forum. Here's a link to the ones on Power Converters.

We also have some other owner-written guides. Here's a link to the user guides which you may find helpful.

If you need more help, feel free to ask and please let us know what you find.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things pop out at me from your post.
You say "batteries" as in two or more. If that's the case are you sure they are hooked up properly?
Then, you state they will not hold a charge. Do they fully charge then lose it quickly? Or do they not charge at all?
For the microwave, find the breaker, turn it fully off, then on again.
Have you verified that there is no power to that receptacle? If so and the breaker reset didn't help, you may have to look for a loose wire at the breaker or receptacle.
Please let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wdk450

CMCK04:
My Apollo oven quit suddenly on my trip from Sacramento to Goshen, In. As I closed the door, before I started microwaving, all lights suddenly went out on the microwave. Being a retired electronics tech., I think that something is wrong with the door microswitches which blew the internal fuse in the microwave. I made an immediate run to the nearest WalMart and got a small, tabletop, microwave for about $70 to at least use on the trip. Of course, I did check, and reset (it wasn't tripped) the main circuit breaker for the microwave first. I will have to evaluate repair/replacement of the convection microwave when I get home. There are issues of fit, trim bezel, and cooling ventilation to consider if you are going to replace it. Heartland service might be able to advise you on this and supply you a bezel used with whatever convection/microwave model they currently use.

On the battery charge retention problem you will need a DC voltmeter/currentmeter for understanding the problem. The questions to ask are: Are there any 12 volt devices draining current from the battery other than the normal drain sources (L.P. alarm ). Are any lights left on like in the closet? Is your emergency disconnect brake switch tripped? Is the water pump switch left on? Next, you need to check that the circuit breaker from the converter/charger to the battery is not tripped. Disconnect your converter/charger from the battery and measure if voltage is being supplied when you are connected to shore power. You may be able to do this easily by disconnecting the positive cable to the battery then measuring for voltage at the positive cable's end. Information and diagrams on the charging system are at the "Tools" tab at the top of any forum page, then click on the "Manuals" listing, then go through the manuals menus to find what you need. The converter/charger should be putting out 13-14 volts DC.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Cmck,

The converter is located behind the basement wall. You will probably have to remove the wall to get to it.

One thought that may connect the two problems, do you have a Surgeguard or EMS system between your coach and any power source you plug into? If not, a power spike may have fried your converter and the microwave. We had this happen on our previous trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmaguire

I am having the issue with my 2010 Elk Ridge also. I am not getting voltage from the converter to charge the batteries. I had the unit in the shop about a month ago and they said they had to remove the battery to reset the breaker. I looked at the battery and I can see the entire wire to where it goes into the front storage area. The rv dealer around here sucks. I am tired of having them Gerry rig everything they touch. I would like to fix this myself, and I am capable. My question is this- Is there really a reset between the converter and the battery, and does anyone know where it is located? Do you think it would be behind the breaker panel? Is it a separate device?

danemayer

I am having the issue with my 2010 Elk Ridge also. I am not getting voltage from the converter to charge the batteries. I had the unit in the shop about a month ago and they said they had to remove the battery to reset the breaker. I looked at the battery and I can see the entire wire to where it goes into the front storage area. The rv dealer around here sucks. I am tired of having them Gerry rig everything they touch. I would like to fix this myself, and I am capable. My question is this- Is there really a reset between the converter and the battery, and does anyone know where it is located? Do you think it would be behind the breaker panel? Is it a separate device?
Hi John,

Yes there really is a manual reset 12V circuit breaker between the converter and the battery. Take a look at our 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostics Guide which has pictures and diagrams and explains what's going on.

The location of the buss bar with the 12V breakers varies by rig, but is generally close by the battery.

If it's tripping regularly, I'd suggest getting a replacement breaker. If it still trips regularly, something else is wrong and you'll need to find a good service location.

jmaguire

Thanks for the reply. The battery is about 10 feet away from the breakers and fuses. I will trace the wire back from the battery and find the breaker for the converter. This is the second time it has tripped, but it's only the second time I have checked it also. The link you added for the diagram won't come up for me.

jmaguire

Got it this time. Thanks for the information. I thought those were simply buss bars that are commonly used to connect wires. I would have never guessed they were breakers. I guess the breaker will have an amp rating on it that I can test to see if the battery is drawing too much power or if the breaker is going bad. Again, Thanks

jimtoo

Hi Familytime,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

We need more information about your unit. Model and year will help. If you have a 5th wheel, it is probably located behind the wall in the basement, but more information is needed. Also what problem are you having?

Jim M

Dpa4747

I left a light on and drained my batteries, so i got it plugged in and the was a clicking sound coming from teh breaker from teh converter....its on than off than on then off I took video and put it on Youtube, I think th esmall DC breaker id bad Who knows the breaker amp size ?

danemayer

I left a light on and drained my batteries, so i got it plugged in and the was a clicking sound coming from teh breaker from teh converter....its on than off than on then off I took video and put it on Youtube, I think th esmall DC breaker id bad Who knows the breaker amp size ?

Hi Dpa4747,

If you're talking about the 12V DC mini-circuit-braker on the buss bar, the one between battery and power converter is typically a 50-amp manual reset. You can find replacements online or at RV dealers or marine parts stores and sometimes at auto parts stores. Check the configuration of the mounting tabs; they're not all the same.