Preparing to install washer and dryer

Curt_Hinson

I am preparing to install a WFC7500VW front load washer and a LDR3822PQ front load dryer (stacked) in my new 2014 Landmark Sequoia. I am sure that I will have to remove the clothes bar as well as the shelf. My potential problem is that I have read many of the posts on this forum that state that there is an indicator where the dryer vent will be placed in the wall. I can't find any such indicator anywhere in my unit. Does anyone know of a template that could be used to get it into a general area that will work or can anyone provide a guestimate of the proper location. I guess that I can contact Heartland to see if they have anything, but I don't like going that route if there is another one open to me.

I do my own work. That way, if it is wrong, I have no one to blame but myself. If it is right, I will feel that I did a better job than what I would get at an RV Repair Center.

Curt

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Curt, we installed the same setup a couple of years ago, but we did have the target. However, it was very out of place. We had to drill a series of tiny pilot holes to be sure we located a spot that would give us clearance from any vertical "studs". If you figure out through measurements about how high the vent will need to be, you should be able to use the same technique with the pilot holes. Our vent is almost exactly the same heigth as the vent on the back of the dryer and is also nearly the same distance front to back as the vent on the dryer.

Once we located a safe spot for the vent, we drilled through the wall from the inside with a 1/4" bit. Then we went to the outside and used a hole saw the size of the vent tube (I think ours was 3 7/8"). Start the hole saw in reverse to score the fiberglass. After it is scored about 1/8th inch, then put the drill in forward to finish making your cut. This will keep the saw from cracking the fiberglass exterior. Also, double/triple check your measurement from the inside and outside before drilling the 1/4" hole through the wall. You should have plenty of room on the outside to not hit any seams, but we do know a forum member whose installation by a Camping World did not do that and they caught the seam between the front cap and the side.

By the way, we had to remove the bedroom door and one side of the frame in our Grand Canyon to get the washer and dryer in the bedroom. If you have to do this, go very easy on the door frame. Ours had several staples/brads holding it on.

Good luck!

Garypowell

When I installed ours we had a sticker too....sorry. But I can mention two things:

1. Call the factory and your rep should be able to give you a couple of dimensions .....after all they usually put the sticker on they should know where it goes.

2. I called anyway just to talk the project over and was told I had plenty of room up and down. I was also assured that even if I cut clean through a tube there would be no loss of structural integrity.

And guess what....I hit the tube and put the center of the hole right in line with the sticker. Only lost half of it.

Oh there is a third thing.

I would start the hole from the inside. I know this is probably backwards from normal convention but my thought is as the inside wall is cut through you will know if you are hitting something. If you do you can reorient the hole and then finish it by drilling it from the outside.

This way if you are off it only messes up the inside that can be patched while the outside will look perfect. And if your space is like my space you'll never see it anyway.

porthole

Retired
As to cutting the big hole, once you are set in location I would cut from both directions. After drilling all the way through with a 1/4" bit, and double checking both sides, as Gus mentioned, from the outside start with the drill and reverse to score the outer surface. Once through about a 1/16" you can go forward. Stop about 1" in and then go to the inside and repeat. That should give you 2 nice clean entry surfaces. When you screw on the outer cover, drill your pilot hole then counter sink the outer surface. This will help eliminate any future stress-spider cracks from the screw installation. And don't make the screw hole too small.

mobilcastle

I am working on mine. I am measuring from the window inside and outside to get my measurement . I am also using a finish nail to check for studs. Thanks for all the tips. I am going to drill from the inside first to see if I have to make any adjustments. I am also trying to keep the hose as far back as possible to make attaching easier. I am putting in a stack unit.
I am preparing to install a WFC7500VW front load washer and a LDR3822PQ front load dryer (stacked) in my new 2014 Landmark Sequoia. I am sure that I will have to remove the clothes bar as well as the shelf. My potential problem is that I have read many of the posts on this forum that state that there is an indicator where the dryer vent will be placed in the wall. I can't find any such indicator anywhere in my unit. Does anyone know of a template that could be used to get it into a general area that will work or can anyone provide a guestimate of the proper location. I guess that I can contact Heartland to see if they have anything, but I don't like going that route if there is another one open to me.

I do my own work. That way, if it is wrong, I have no one to blame but myself. If it is right, I will feel that I did a better job than what I would get at an RV Repair Center.

Curt

Curt_Hinson

Thanks for the information and suggestions, guys. It will be a few days before I can get started on this project. I take the camper back to Camping World tomorrow morning for some warranty checks. I do not know how long they will have it, but I was hoping to use it to travel to Williamsburg, VA for the 4th of July. That probably will not happen now.

For what it's worth, I do not believe I will have any problems getting the units into the bedroom. There is plenty of space provided already behind louvered doors for the units. I haven't measured yet, but the only place I might have a problem is the hallway going by the bathroom into the bedroom.

Again, thanks for the reply's. When I actually do the job, maybe I will take some pictures of the installation and post them.

Curt