Pantry too hot.

oscar

On the 4100 the cabinets to the left of the fridge get hot in the summer, too hot. My solution so far is to replace the doors with louvered doors to improve air flow when the AC is running. The top one is 10x46, the bottom one 10x22. I have a quote for poplar unfinished doors for $125. I can router a matching bead around the outside edge, and stain to match.

Anyone have a better solution?

Garypowell

Maybe you have but I would investigate where the heat is coming from first. If there is some "source" then maybe you can stop it there.

I guess I am a little concerned that just louvers might not solve the problem.

justafordguy

I bet the heat is coming from the fridge. Maybe you can insulate the inside of the fridge compartment better to stop the heat from getting into the cabinet.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have a heat problem in the summertime. The insulation on the sides of the slides is not as great as the rest of the insulation of the coach. We just leave the doors cracked opened.

Rickhansen

We keep only dry goods in there for the same reasons. Your solution will help, but keep in mind that the heat will be an additional load for your A/C to contend with. Heat transfer is based on the difference in temperature, the greater the difference, the more the heat will transfer. I would look at adding insulation, perhaps 1/4" foam board installed inside the cabinet, along with your new doors.

As an alternate to new doors, could you remove the raised panel inserts and replace them with a decorative metal screen? Here's a site with different styles of mesh. http://walzcraft.com/products/accent-cabinet-doors/wire-mesh-grilles/

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
While at the factory, we noted that the "wall" in the slide between the fridge and the cabinetry was only 1/4" thick wood wallboard. This probably the reason we were having lots of heat in the cabinet next to the fridge. We looked at adding insulation in the upper fridge vent on that wall, but adding as mentioned in the cabinet might be easier.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscar

I'm sure the fridge contributes to the problem, but I feel 90% of it is the sun beating on the slide. I looked at mesh, but I really don't want to be able to see through...

You did give me the idea to see if I can remove the raised panel and install louvres on the back myself.....

mixie57

We have the same problem. I was thinking of installing slide out cover on that slide to ease the transfer of heat from the roof. I like the idea of removing the insert and replacing it with louvers still.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I bet the heat is coming from the fridge. Maybe you can insulate the inside of the fridge compartment better to stop the heat from getting into the cabinet.
When we had to replace the ice maker water fill line in our fridge this is what we did. I removed any bat insulation from the sides and replaced with styrofoam. I don't know if we had any heat problems in our panty (same location along the right side) but it was easy enough to do. Fridge in & out in under an hour.

MTPockets

Our cabinets are all warm inside; A/C air has no way to get in 'and' I think that is O.K... Asking the A/C to cool all that extra space may cause the unit to work harder. Why do the inside of the cabinets need to be same temp as the room?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our cabinets are all warm inside; A/C air has no way to get in 'and' I think that is O.K... Asking the A/C to cool all that extra space may cause the unit to work harder. Why do the inside of the cabinets need to be same temp as the room?
It melts the chocolate bars! :rolleyes:

Westwind

Found that out so we moved them to the cabinet above the sink, usually I end up doing dishes so the chocolate is in a handy spot. Canned and dry goods are fine warm or cold.

msd123mp

It's still a problem in 2021 in the 33RETS! Cabinet to the left of the fridge is consistently above 80 degrees. We even had extra insulation installed between the fridge and the cabinet to no avail. Why must we have to retrofit our campers with new doors just to keep dry goods from melting. Come on! Our trailer in not even 6 months out of the factory. By the way, the A/C inside the living area was at a comfortable 72*.

Attachments

• 20210718_151951.jpg
    20210718_151951.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Bogie

Had the same problem with our Sundance. We put on slide toppers. That helped considerably. But if the sun is beating on the side of the slide out, the pantry still gets hot inside. We just leave the door open as was already suggested.

msd123mp

Just an update... I cut the door to install an opening at the top and bottom of the door. This allows a natural flow of fresh cabin air into the pantry. Problem somewhat solved. It's still not cool inside the pantry put it no longer melts the chocolate.

Attachments

• pantry door fix.jpg
    pantry door fix.jpg
    786 KB · Views: 23