extended warranrty while broke down

yepuhuh

Saturday June 15, 2013.
Heading from Jacksonville , Fl to Dillard, Ga, we had an uneventful trip. Temperature was in the high 80’s, truck
pulling just fine. After we crossed over i-85 in northern Georgia just south of Toccoa Falls, we began our hill
climbing on US17N, heading towards US441 to Clayton then into Dillard. As we were climbing a long grade uphill
I suddenly lost power and the temperature gauge was heading to Hot really fast when the heat sensor turned off the
truck and we coasted to a stop. At the time this happened my wife said she was seeing like a white steam
coming out of the exhaust and asked if that was normal. I told her no….so we coasted as far as we could
and off on the shoulder.

Once we were on the side of the road, I called into my Coach Net service to see about getting a tow.
This was around 2pm in the afternoon. After talking with Coach net they called me back and told me a
wrecker was coming from Atlanta (100 miles away) to tow my truck and camper to our final destination
and then unhook the truck and tow it to the nearest ford dealer . At first they wanted to tow it to
Cornelia Ga, when there was a big truck ford dealer and service center in Clayton Ga , in which I
convinced the tow driver to take it to.

While we were stranded on the road several local folks stopped by to render assistance, from cold
drinks and snacks to actually wanting to tow the RV to the RV park 38 miles away! This gave me a
good impression of north Georgia people.

Tow truck driver gets to us around 6pm, begins assessing the situation. He first lifted my truck
front end to get to the drive shaft so he could disconnect it. After that he hooked up to it and
off we go. The tow truck was a semi-tractor trailer rig that would haul many thousands of pounds.

Once we arrived at our destination, River Vista Mountain Resort in Dillard, several folks offered
assistance in getting our rig settled in. We wound up getting on a pull through site because the
tow truck with all of us attached would not have been able to back in where our lot is. So our first
night of vacation was spent in a pull through site.
We disconnected the 5th wheel from the truck and the tow truck drive took the truck to the dealership
9 miles away. We thought we were stranded but several folks offered their vehicles if we needed them.

The next day this nice man , Dave, brought his truck over , hooked us up and carried us to our site
and backed in. Day 2 we are on our lot set up and resting and relaxing!

Monday morning, some friends took me down to the local ford dealership where I met one of the nicest
service advisors, Kevin. He got my truck in to determine what was wrong with it. In no time he told
me the radiator had a hole in.

In my past dealings with IWS extended warranty I was not sure if the extended warranty company would
pay for the repair. However, after much negotiation, Kevin convinced the IWS representative to take
care of the repair bill. The IWS rep was whining about the cost of the radiator and wanted to tow
the truck elsewhere without my permission to see if a better price would be found. Kevin then told
the IWS rep that the customer has been stranded 500 miles away from home and asked, is that the way
you treat your customers when they are stranded?
After all negotiation, IWS paid for everything except 2 o-rings, sales tax and a gallon of coolant.
I’m hoping IWS sends me a survey of how they took care of my repair/service. Truck was fixed that day
and we got it back.

<o:p></o

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks for the story. We are glad you got you back to 'normal'. Good to hear how some extended warranty companies treat their customers. We have the Ford extended warranty for our truck and Good Sam warranty for the RV. Have not had to use either yet (knock on wood).

porthole

Retired
To the OP it sounds like a bad situation could have been much worse but only ended up with a inconvenience.

As to the W company, what you experienced is typical and why I always recommend factory sponsored warranties if you are so inclined.

And BTW, a factory plan would have covered all the related parts for the repair less your deductible.

Just an extended warranty FYI, when I was the new car service field there almost no aftermarket extended warranty companies we would accept a promise of payment from.

Almost every time the customer was required to pay up front and then try and get reimbursed.