Coax diagram for Bighorn

I need a coax diagram for a Bighorn 3670 RL. When I bought this RV, one of the conditions was that I could watch satellite TV in the bedroom. The dealer trashed all the wiring trying to make this happen and now I need to fix it or pay some dealer big bucks to fix it. I can do it myself if there is a drawing anywhere to give me some direction. We also have a roof mounted dish.

jimtoo

Hi fifthwheel70,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You might check the tools tab up top here and look for the manuals. We have a lot of owners manuals and some drawings or layouts of cables. Check this one out and see if it's what you need.

Let us know how it goes and someone will be able to answer your questions if needed.

Jim M

danemayer

The dealer trashed all the wiring trying to make this happen
How did they trash the wiring?

If you have a dish with 2 coax connections, one gets hooked to the living room connector and the other to the bedroom. You need receivers in each location.

Are you trying to use one receiver in the living room and get the satellite receiver output to both locations? That can be more challenging.

Joy & Jeff

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
You can contact Heartland and they will either send you one via email or snail mail.

We had trouble with ours too. We had a Winegard carry out with two connections and two receivers. After switching receivers around and cables, we discovered that there was a disconnect somewhere in the guts of our Bighorn between the outside connection and the bedroom connection.

We ran a new coax cable from the outside connection through the basement into the bedroom. Viola! We now have satellite in both rooms.

Hope this helps.

Joy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We asked to have a roof dish installed and have satellite in the bedroom. We have never had satellite in the bedroom. When I took the panel off and checked out the coax in the basement, the installer had removed all the cables from the original connections and installed a series of splitters. You can't imagine what it looked like. I traced all the cables and got the satellite back to work in the living room. I also have air channels on both locations. There are two cables leaving the roof antenna and I found one but for some reason can not seem to find the other if there is indeed another one. I am about ready to pull another cable in.

I went to that site earlier before joining the forum. They have a diagram of a Big Country model. I don't know how close it is to mine. I see you have been to Branson. That is our favorite playground. We have stayed at Tall Pines several times. Very good campground.

danemayer

Sounds like the dealer tech took the long way around a short circle.

There are 2 lines from the roof to the UDC. If you'll notice, the UDC has 4 satellite connectors. The right hand of each pair is to the roof, and the left of the pair goes to the living room and bedroom. All the dealer had to do is jumper those 2 lines to the matching connectors.

Now it sounds like you have to find the 2nd cable from the roof and restore things to their original state.

Btw, it can be tricky to split high def satellite signals.

If your dish and your receivers are Directv SWM, all you need is one line from the roof to the Directv SWM 4way powered splitter. 2 of the outputs get capped and the other 2 go to the living room and bedroom. Put the living room coax into the splitter port that's marked for power and then put the Directv power inserter in the living room, inline to the receiver.

Good luck.

Theresau

What year is your BH? As stated in another reply the UDC has connections. We just had Directv Traveler installed on the roof - there was a dummy wall plate on the ceiling in the bedroom that had the coax that needed to be connected to the Traveler. The installer then hooked up coax from the right most coax connectors (roof) in the UDC to the left most connectors for both the living and bedroom.

Also in the 2014 BC (and I believe 2013) and I thought I saw the same in these year of BH's too...the bedroom's left side closet with the drawers has a coax set up above the set of drawers. You need to switch there from air to satellite and that then feeds the connection above the dresser.

The LR area has connectors for both air/cable and satellite.

After hearing your story I'm glad we had this done at the rally........

We asked to have a roof dish installed and have satellite in the bedroom. We have never had satellite in the bedroom. When I took the panel off and checked out the coax in the basement, the installer had removed all the cables from the original connections and installed a series of splitters. You can't imagine what it looked like. I traced all the cables and got the satellite back to work in the living room. I also have air channels on both locations. There are two cables leaving the roof antenna and I found one but for some reason can not seem to find the other if there is indeed another one. I am about ready to pull another cable in.

Sounds real simple doesn't it?? Want me to tell you how mine is REALLY wired. I assume the UDC you speak of is where all the wires are connected, and the Cable TV part of what you say is true, HOWEVER when it comes to the satellite connections here it is. The LNB cable comes from the roof as you said. one for the living room and one for the bedroom. One coax cable leaves the panel and goes to the living room. I have been using this one since we bought it. There are THREE cables left that could be the bedroom. After trying every tool I have to trace those cables, I decided to just pull another one in as Joy and Jeff explained in their post. Bad choice. Heartland bundles their wiring and puts them inside a sleeve that is split for the entire length. If the fish tape gets outside the sleeve it can go anywhere. There are no conduits per se and the tunnels in the insulation are FULL. I could not get a fish tape from the bedroom TV location to the lower storage area. In the process I did find my problem. I kept noticing the wires followed water lines through the storage area and there is a plumbing connection for a washer dryer in the closet in the bedroom. When I accessed the service door, there were two cables there that had been looped through, cut and spliced. When I traced them with a tone one of them went to the storage area. I thought about running a short jumper from this to the TV mount. With the cable problem almost solved I thought about working on another problem. There are two speakers in the ceiling in front of the TV that have an on off switch on the wall near the light switch. These have never worked either and I often wondered why they would put switches inline with a speaker so I accessed both the switches and the speakers. When I removed the first speaker, guess what....there was a coax cable cut and stowed in the speaker mount. I toned it out and both sides of the cable went to the washer dryer area. Now all I have to do is run about 2 ft. of wire from the speaker to the TV booster access hole. I still have not found the other end of the cable coming out of the TV junction box that was designated as Satellite.

wdk450

Hi Fifthwheel70:
Since I see you are a new member, you might not know about all of the manuals in our online library. From any forum page click on the "Tools" tab at the top of the page, then the "Manuals" selection. I had to look to find the coax layouts section - It was under "Electronics".
Jim sent you directly to the page that is appropriate for most Bighorns. Here is a link to the complete listing of ALL the coax layout stuff from the library:
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=/Electronics/Coax_Layouts/All_Brands

If you are installing a Dish network receiver, I'd be happy to correspond and help. I use a VIP722.

danemayer

The factory diagrams might have been accurate before your dealer started his modifications.