Warning for those with onboard generator

taken

Our 30C is a touch over a year old and has an Onan 5500 generator. I was poking around underneath the other day and noticed that the rubber exhaust hanger was cracked/dry rotted in two places and ready to give way. A $5 universal exhaust hanger from the local parts store bolted right on to the existing hanger and we are good to go. However, if I didn't catch this before it came apart, it would have made quite the mess dropping down at highway speed. Anyways, check yours if you have one. It could save you some headaches and $ in the future.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you for jogging my memory.
DW happened to notice ours was cracked a few weeks back, at about two and one half years old.
I will forward this thread to myself as a reminder:) Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

TXTiger

My Cyclone is just over one year old. When I checked mine it was already broken in half and the exhaust pipe was loosely hanging. I have zip tied it for now. What is this universal hanger available from the auto parts store? Looks like I need one now.

taken

My Cyclone is just over one year old. When I checked mine it was already broken in half and the exhaust pipe was loosely hanging. I have zip tied it for now. What is this universal hanger available from the auto parts store? Looks like I need one now.

If you go to the exhaust isle, there will be a few different styles of universal hanger. The cheapest one will be the type I have. It's just a strip of rubber about 6-7" with an L shaped piece of metal rivited to one end. There are holes punched the length of the rubber. I loosened the stock hanger bolts, slipped the L shaped piece of metal in between the stock hanger and pipe, then re-tightened. Then I twisted the piece of rubber from the new hanger up and parallel with the flat stock metal piece that has all the holes punched in it. I lined up the holes on the new and old hangers and put a few bolts through. So, the old hanger is still in place and being used with the new one there as a reinforcement.