Extra wiring for Valor TPMS-203-RVT system?

Curt_Hinson

I removed my box of goodies for my TPMS system today to see what had to be done to install the remainder of the system. The RV wheel inserts were installed by Heartland. All I have to do is install the monitor, cables and antenna. I located all of the parts per the installation manual, but was puzzled by one extra wire. This wire has a plug with the ground connector exposed on one end (much like a standard four wire trailer connector but only has two connectors) and stripped wires (+ and - or red and black) on the other end. It also has an inline fuse near the plugged end.

The installation manual does not describe it nor can I determine where it should go. I am going to try to post a picture and hopefully someone will chime in and tell me some things I don't know.

IMAG0389.jpg

Curt

Garypowell

This is the power cable for the monitor. There should be two wires coming out of the monitor. One is for antenna and looks like coax connector. The second should hook to the wire in picture.

Mine has cigarett plug on the other end. Yours looks like it is to be hard wiredbb

if the antenna wire does not reach the end of the truck call valor and tell them. For me they sent longer wire.

Curt_Hinson

Gary, thanks for the response. I forgot to mention that I also have the power cable for the monitor which is attached to the monitor and plugs into the cigarette lighter. I also have the extra length of cable to get to the back of the truck as well as the cable with the antenna. This additional cable is not shown in the books. I thought that it possibly might have to be mounted under the RV, but I don't know what it would be hooked up to.

I will fire off an email to the OEM Monday if it can't be figured out here.

IMAG0391.jpg

Curt

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That cable may be for if you want to hard wire the system rather than using the plug in.

Peace
Dave

Curt_Hinson

That cable may be for if you want to hard wire the system rather than using the plug in.

Peace
Dave
Cookie, I will buy that explanation. Since I can only do one thing (or less) at a time, it never occurred to me that it might be better to hard wire the dang thing. In my mind, I was treating it the same way as I do my GPS. Remove it when stopped so that it wouldn't be a temptation to some people as in "I want it nnnoooowwwww". I realize that I could still remove it by disconnecting the cables, but the ciggy thing is much easier.

Thanks for the input,

Curt

Garypowell

It could be a mistake but I have seen sometimes company's will provide both ways of powering. I only had the cig way and cut the end off and hard wired it.

I like you remove it from view when not in use.

GlenStMary

The extra coax cable in your kit is necessary if you have a long bed truck. My unit was installed by the dealer and the antenna was mounted on the frame in front of the rear axle. That install never worked! I called the Valor tech support team and the first question they asked was "do I have the unit mounted in a long bed truck". Upon answering "yes", the tech said he would send me an antenna extension and that the antenna needed to be mounted as far back as I could get it. Since moving the antenna, enabled by the extra length of cable, the TPMS works perfectly.

jbeletti

Curt,

As others have mentioned, it is in fact, a second power cable for a more built-in/permanent installation. I wanted my monitor dash-mounted and did not want the power cable hanging over the dash down to the 12 volt power receptacle, so I used the cable you are speaking of.

No need to call Valor. Just keep it in the box in case you ever trade the RV off - then you can have all the parts that go with it.

Incidentally and not that it matters much, Tredit Tire and Wheel, our tire and wheel supplier do the install of the sensors inside the rim and deliver mounted tires/wheels to us (Heartland). We just bolt them on.

Curt_Hinson

Jim, Glen and Gary. Thank you for the information concerning the extra wire in my TPMS box. It never occurred to me to hard wire it into the truck, mostly because I felt that it should be treated like a GPS.The installation manual states that you should connect the power cord to the cigarette lighter and at the bottom of the page in a NOTE it says that "When the vehicle is shut down, the display will turn off. When start the vehicle again, display will restart". I have a problem with this in that my cigarette lighters (two in the front console) are active even though the vehicle is shut down. If hardwired, I think that the instructions should state that it should be connected to a switched circuit, otherwise, either system would run the battery down. I have been wrong in the past and hopefully this is one of them. For myself, I can figure this thing out and wire it right accordingly.Thanks again. Curt