Generator change for 2014?

taken

I was looking at the Heartland web site as I do each year to see what changes my model gets from year to year. I see this year the Onan 5500 generator has the suffix "LP." Does this mean the generators that come on Heartland rigs are now run on propane as opposed to running off the on-board fuel tank? That would make no sense, so maybe I'm reading it wrong? Anyone know? Just curious...

ILH

Not that you're necessarily wrong, but why does it not make sense? I don't have an opinion here - just asking.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Not sure but usually the LP designation means it runs off of Propane. Many prefer a Propane generator.

taken

I can't imagine anyone prefering a propane generator when you have a 30 gallon fuel tank just waiting to be used as opposed to two small propane tanks that are needed for the fridge, heat, and hot water. It just makes no sense. On a stand alone generator maybe or perhaps a 5th wheel non-toyhauler where the fuel tank would only be used for a generator. However, on a built in generator on a toyhauler with an onboard fuel cell? It that situation, it just doesn't figure...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I can't imagine anyone prefering a propane generator when you have a 30 gallon fuel tank just waiting to be used as opposed to two small propane tanks that are needed for the fridge, heat, and hot water. It just makes no sense. On a stand alone generator maybe, but on a built in on a toyhauler with an onboard fuel cell? It that situation, it just doesn't figure...

Think it boils down to 'different strokes for different folks"

danemayer

I was looking at the Heartland web site as I do each year to see what changes my model gets from year to year. I see this year the Onan 5500 generator has the suffix "LP." Does this mean the generators that come on Heartland rigs are now run on propane as opposed to running off the on-board fuel tank? That would make no sense, so maybe I'm reading it wrong? Anyone know? Just curious...
Assuming you're reading it correctly somewhere, it's probably just a website error. The RW Features and Options list says: Onan Generator (5.5 KW Carb Certified) (4.0 Carb Certified in 281RW).

Doesn't sound like LP.

taken

Assuming you're reading it correctly somewhere, it's probably just a website error. The RW Features and Options list says: Onan Generator (5.5 KW Carb Certified) (4.0 Carb Certified in 281RW).

Doesn't sound like LP.

It's right on Heartland's web site when you click on each individual floor plan. It also says it on all the Cyclone floor plans. I didn't look further. Here you go... It's the third from last line. If it is an error, I guess it should be reported to get corrected...

Specifications for Model RW 30C
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)16,000 lbs
Dry Weight11,950 lbs
Hitch Weight2,900 lbs
Carrying Capacity
Width8' 5"
Height13' 3"
Length37' 9"
Sq. Ft.
Sleeping Capacity7+ People
Axles(2) 7,000 lbs
TiresST235/80R16-E
Shocks---
Fresh Tank110 gal
Gray Tank82 gal
Black Tank41 gal
Water Heater20 gal/hr
Furnace35,000 btu
A/C15,000 btu
LP Capacity(2) 30 lbs
Refrigerator8 cu ft
110 V Electric50 AMP
Converter75 AMP / 12 V
R-Value WallR-8
R-Value FloorR-27
R-Value RoofR-23
ConstructionAluminum Framing, Fiberglass Skin
Roof MaterialRubber
Number of Slides2
Number of Bunks0
Slide Room Height7' 6"
Bedroom Height6' 4"
Awning Length20'
Cook Top3 burner
Traditional Oven16"
Convection Oven
Microwave Oven900 Watt / 1 cu ft
Generator PrepStandard
GeneratorOptional
Generator BrandOnan
Generator Kilowatts5.5 kW LP
Standard Bed Dimensions60" x 80"
Queen

taken

Think it boils down to 'different strokes for different folks"

I guess. It just seems to add something to worry about. You can go a long time on a 30 gallon tank. Especially if you aren't pumping out of the fuel station often for your toys. When on two 30 gallon lp tanks and sharing them with fridge, stove, heat, and hw, it's going to go quick. Although I guess the fridge would switch to electric mode when the generator starts. But... you get my thought process...

porthole

Retired
Maybe because the fuel cell is optional?
IIRC when I ordered my 3010 the generator option was LP unless the fuel cell was ordered (which was a single tank then).
With the fuel cell option the genny was gasoline.

As for different strokes "if" I was to order a new Landmark with a genny my preference would be to have the option of the fuel cell.

If you only occasionally use the genny then the LP option makes sense. But I will use it a few times a year for several days at a time. Then the gasoline option is better for our use. And easier to keep fueled up.

As I looked at all the new trailers while at Goshen, the thought came every time I looked at the front compartments. As much as I would prefer having the onboard Genny for convenience, I would not like the LP only option.

My first idea is order it with gen prep and then get a MOR/ryde 200% extension slide out tray in the front cabinet and use my Honda 3K.

But that would negate the use of running the genny while traveling to pre cool the rig a bit. We have done that several times, about an hour out, stop and fire up the genny and turn on the AC.

taken

The first fuel cell is standard now. The second one is the option. I agree that different people have different needs. I guess both should be an option. Customer choice?

scottyb

I just ran my generator for 72 hours straight at the last race in San Angelo, TX and used 42 gal. Imagine the logistics of doing that on propane. The propane tanks are 30 lb, not 30 gal. My usage came out to 0.58 gph which is right at the 0.6 gph Onan states for 1/2 load. On propane, using their same 1/2 load calculations (3.3 lb/h), I would have used 237 lb, which translates to just under 8 x 30 lb cylinders of propane. I simply drove across the highway the nearest convenience store and filled 2 x 6 gal fuel cans each night, to add to the fuel cell.

porthole

Retired
Scott, I am using a 14 gallon wheeled tote from Tractor Supply, $99.
I leave it in the truck when I can and use a hose I made up to gravity feed.

Way easier then trying get gas in that low fill with jugs.

scottyb

Scott, I am using a 14 gallon wheeled tote from Tractor Supply, $99.
I leave it in the truck when I can and use a hose I made up to gravity feed.

Way easier then trying get gas in that low fill with jugs.

That would be a good deal. I have 2 VP Racing jugs that have about 4" of 1/2" PVC on the end on the vinyl hose nozzle. The PVC slips right into the filler neck and stays put. Works very well but you may not be able to buy/use them in all states. I know that CA will not allow them.

Attachments

• VP Racing.jpg
    VP Racing.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 27

ramdually4100king

I have two fuel tanks, one for toys and one for generator. Like I read in another post I am going to fill both, and when the generator gets low I will pump from the toy tank to the gen tank.

porthole

Retired
Legally, we could use those jugs but would not be able to get them filled. Only approved, colored correctly containers can be filled in service stations. And in Jersey, you are not allowed to pump your own fuel, so no getting around it.

That Tractor Supply tote has a nozzle with a squeeze pump, but I couldn't imagine trying to use it to pump all 14 gallons in one session. Here is the caddy I am using.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/scepter-duramax-flo-n-go-14-gal-cap

taken

I wonder if any of the Heartland guys will answer this post? I'm curious if all the 2014's are coming with LP generators?

danemayer

I wonder if any of the Heartland guys will answer this post? I'm curious if all the 2014's are coming with LP generators?

The factory doesn't monitor everything on the forum and probably won't see this thread. If you really want to know for sure, you can end all the speculation. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030.

scottyb

And in Jersey, you are not allowed to pump your own fuel, so no getting around it.

I ran into that in Medford, Oregon last winter. I didn't know if it was a local rule or statewide. Full service gas stations are almost extinct in Texas. My friends in NorCal told me they could no longer buy and use those fuel cans. They do make them in Red.

I can see having a LP generator on a 5th wheel that doesn't have a fuel cell, but if the fuel cell is there, the convenience of gas is hard to beat. I have a hard enough time finding a place to fill propane tanks while at home. I love it when they want to charge a flat rate, regardless of how much gas is still in the bottle.

porthole

Retired
Full service in Jersey is about extinct too. Pumping gas is not a service, it is fulfillment of a State law. We can pump our own diesel at stations that have separate diesel islands though. And surprisingly, many of the diesel pumps don't surcharge for debit and credit cards.