Tires

busted2341

All,I would like to let you know that since my purchase of my 2013 3596RE at the San Antonio RV show In January 2013, I have had noting but tire problems. I spoke with the Heartland Rep at that time voicing my concerns using an E rated tire for such a heavy trailer. I traded a 2011 BC due to other issues and this is my third Heartland Trailer. The 2011 came with G rated tires which in the 18 months I had that trailer I had no tire problems what-so-ever. Since my 2013 purchase I have had tread separation on tires. I purchased 2 on own my own in May 2013 and now during my 2 week trip in June I have had 3 more tires with tread separation. The last one occurred on the Hwy at 65 MPH causing considerable damage to my coach. My only real complaint here is that when I voiced these concerns to the Rep, I was told about this great tire and flex and that the G rated tire was no longer provided. After my ordeal on the Hwy and my purchase of new G Rated tires, Superior Tire explained they believed the separation occurred due to the rating not being able to handle the load. Since I have replaced a total of 6 tires due to separation I think Heartland should rethink it's tire rating. My other concern is with the representative I sent the original email to explaining my concerns and his only answer was that Heartland does not warrant tires, here's a number. Geez what customer service. I understand that Thor has purchased a great company, which makes me understand why I was brushed off. I don't think the original owners of Heartland would have done that. I am hopeful your engineers look into tires...Frank

porthole

Retired
Car dealers don't warrantee tires either. But that is the only similarity with warranties.

I had a interesting conversation recently when getting my fractured rim taking care of.

There seems to be an issue with the 614's when getting within a few hundred pounds of the max rating, 3750 IIRC. Coming from Scott over at trailer tire and wheel, I believe it is a valid statement.

scottyb

Frank, I assume the tires were Power King Towmax STR's, since about every new Heartland rig has them?

DW_Gray

Since you didn't mention it, I have to ask: (For survey purposes.) What was the tire inflation pressure you maintained the tires with? How often did you check the tire inflation pressure? And what brand and size of tire came with your RV?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You need to call HL and get Tread-its PH #. They seem to handle all of the tire warranties. Somtimes they pay to repair the damage to the trailer. The same people still run and own HL. BTW, your tires on any car/truck you buy are also not covered by Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota...etc,etc.

Tool958

You need to call HL and get Tread-its PH #. They seem to handle all of the tire warranties. Somtimes they pay to repair the damage to the trailer. The same people still run and own HL. BTW, your tires on any car/truck you buy are also not covered by Ford, Dodge, GM, Toyota...etc,etc.

The difference is that, yes, they don't warranty the tires, but when there is a known problem with something as tires it is usually addressed. Heartland knows there is a problem with Towmax's, but they continue to mount them on the trailers anyway, just for cost savings. I would have happilly paid a little extra when we bought our coach just for a piece of mind and it would have been cheaper for us in the long run. How many blowouts and torn up campers does it take before it is taken care of and a different tire is put on them? I for one didn't buy our Cyclone with the thought of having to replace all of the tires with less than 3000 miles on them like we had to. We hadn't had it a year before the belts started separating. The bad part was we were over a 1000 miles from home when it happened. Fortunately, the only thing torn up were the tires, because of the TPMS' we were running gave us a heads up.

danemayer

they continue to mount them on the trailers anyway, just for cost savings.

This idea that Heartland uses Towmax for cost savings was addressed in a seminar at the Goshen Rally. TheTreadit rep explained that Treadit offers tires to RV manufacturers at multiple price points and that Heartland buys the 2nd most expensive - Towmax. He said that the only more expensive load range E tire is the Goodyear Marathon, which is also made in China. While he didn't comment on the Marathon's reputation, anyone regularly reading tire threads knows that the Marathon doesn't have a good reputation either.

TedS

So the two most expensive tires Tredit offers have poor reputations. What are the other tires they offer like?

dave10a

Just because a tire is built in China does not mean it is poor quality. China is now A primary manufacturer for the United States and they, as well as most manufactures, build to the the specifications they are contracted to provide. If you don't like what China does, write to your government representative-- :p But bashing is not rational....:rolleyes:

desertden

So, Treadit does not offer Michelin XPS Ribs? That is an E rated tire that appears to be much better constructed than TowMax or Marathon. They are more expensive, as well.

busted2341

Thanx all. I am trying to post a pic of the tread separation for all to see and yes Tow Max is the tire. As per dealer and tire manufacture as well as Goodyear and other materials, tire pressure is maintained at 80 psi cold. This was recommended due to the load range on the tire being maxed for the trailer. I have always been a tire nut, that is how I cought the other three tires beginning to separate. I check them all the time to make sure they are wearing correctly and have the correct pressure. The tire never blew out. As the pic shows it came apart as if it was a recap. When I got off the road you could still hear the hissing of the air being released. I have filed a claim with Dynamic, which is the Tire Company. I received the estimate for the damage at $5500.00

scottyb

Frank, I'm very sorry to hear about the damage caused by these junk tires. I was fortunate in that I had been reading this forum for a month before picking up my rig. It was very painful, but I took it to Discount Tire and forked out $2K for 6 new Michellins. My technician doing our PDI, made an off the record statement, to get them off of the rig as quickly as possible. He showed me a nearly brand new Big Horn that was in for repairs with one side ripped out. I have 6 brand new Towmax laying out in my pasture, until the right person comes along that can use them without fear of saftey or equipment damage. I will probably end up giving them away, with full disclosure.

These incidents are spread out all over this forum. It would be nice if someone started one topic compiling all of the failures of these tires.

This idea that Heartland uses Towmax for cost savings was addressed in a seminar at the Goshen Rally. TheTreadit rep explained that Treadit offers tires to RV manufacturers at multiple price points and that Heartland buys the 2nd most expensive - Towmax. He said that the only more expensive load range E tire is the Goodyear Marathon, which is also made in China. While he didn't comment on the Marathon's reputation, anyone regularly reading tire threads knows that the Marathon doesn't have a good reputation either.

With all due respect, this sounds like a copout to me. To think that they are using Towmax tires for any other reason than cost, would be naive, to say the least. They are surely not using them for their superior performance and safety record.

r69rag1

My name is also Frank and I seem to have the same problem you do Frank, I have a 2012 Cyclone 3612 and on July 3rd a tire on the drivers side blew out doing considerable damage and on July 4th another tire blew out on the passenger side doing more damage.I looked at the tire next to the one on the passenger side and it was seperating also, I replaced all Tow Max tires the next morning and filed a claim with them that day for replacement and damages. I shipped the tires to Dynamic Tire in Canada for inspection. I left a message at Heartland but they never called me back, sad. I expected at least a return call from Heartland and will remember this next time I go shopping for a new RV,MY MONEY SPENDS ANYWHERE.

Had 3 blow outs at 3000 miles within next 500 miles, one exploded, had TST tire monitoring system, which prevented massive damage on 2 of them, since I had a warning.These tires(power king, ST 235 16R are junk, not designed for this heavy of usage! 2013 Cyclone 3010.

You guys need to go with load range G tires. Load range E tires on bigger 5th wheels are already maxed out on the weight load from the start. The cheaper tires will blow fast. Especially in hot weather. The more expensive name brand tires will last longer, but will still blow. It's a matter of time. Bite the bullet, go with load range G 110 PSI tires. You will have to verify that your wheels are compatible. My 2005 Landmark Monticello tire specification sticker calls for 235 85 R16G, which is a load range G tire.

wdk450

Bob and All: Many of the vendors who have separate warranties have their contact info listed on the first Portal page you see when you log in to this HOG site - It's along the left edge.

BTW, Tredit Tire and Wheel just shipped me (free of charge) a new aluminum spoked wheel for my 4 year old one that cracked on my way back to California from Goshen. I like that warranty service!