Good sam club

dskaczmar

We are new to camping and have insured our bighorn through USAA along with our house and auto policies. Our question, is Good Sam worth the investment, even though it isn't a lot, and is their camper insurance better than what we have now? I know that I need to take the time to do a side by side comparison, but was hoping for some first hand experience from other RV owners.

Thank you!

HappyKayakers

As a fulltimer, my insurance options are probably more limited than yours, and not comparable. However, even if I weren't fulltiming, I would still join Good Sam Club so I could get their roadside assistance coverage. So far, it has saved me in 3 states from Florida to Oregon. Even if you have emergency coverage through USAA, check to see if it will tow your truck AND trailer to the nearest repair facility. Or will they tow your trailer to the nearest campground while towing your truck to a mechanic.

MTPockets

We had Good Sam Ins now we do not due to price increases. We now have Blue Sky full timer policies.

danemayer

Hi dskaczmar,

Sounds like you're talking about Collision/Comprehensive coverage for the trailer, as well as other Good Sam offerings. For the Coll/Comp, you really need to do side-by-side comparisons of coverage and pricing, using the same deductibles. Pricing may vary a lot from carrier to carrier. And you may do better where you're at if you're getting multi-policy discounts for home and auto.

Good Sam also offers club membership that has certain benefits, as well as separate Roadside Service coverage for towing and other mishaps on the road. In addition they offer separate Travel Assistance coverage that primarily helps if you have a medical situation while away from home.

When shopping roadside service, you'll want a policy that tows both truck and trailer when there's a truck breakdown. Who wants to abandon their trailer on the side of the road?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
A Good Sam insurance feature I have found to be quite handy is their " storage" coverage. You call them when you put the unit in storage and you'll receive credit for the collision coverage until you take it out of storage again. They prefer that this be done in increments of a month to lessen accounting headaches. On a couple of occasions when I have needed to move the unit they have given me 1 day coverage (with emailed confirmation) without charge.

pegmikef

I use my home/auto policies carrier for collision/comprehensive coverage, but good sam's for roadside assistance and their travelAssist for medical evacuation.
A little off the subject, but my Farmers' Agent just informed me that Farmers in Texas has started giving discounts for retired military and LEOs.

BobandEva

I have had USAA for over 20 years. They use to insure RV's and now Progressive does it for them, I'm sure giving discounts for USAA. I found Progressive to be very expensive so I sign up with Good Sam or National General only had it for 6 months was very hard to talk to a real person with them, I know insure with the Miller Insurance agency out of Oregon. Very nice people to deal with and is a multi agency company so have many companies to choose from.

JanAndBill

We insure everything through a bundled policy which ends up being cheaper than Good Sams. We are members of Good Sams, because of other benefits, and have the the Roadside Coverage (which we also have through our auto policy as a reimbursement). We've only had to use the roadside coverage once, but the experience was good. We tried the Good Sam Warranty coverage several years ago and found it to be so loaded with exceptions that it was impossible to collect on, so we dropped it.

TXTiger

Membership in the Good Sam Club can be on many levels. First, most join to get a discount at participating campgrounds. Most campgrounds offer the same discount for AAA as well as other discounts, military etc. In addition to campground discounts you can purchase for an additional cost an extended warranty, or roadside service, or medical transport coverage thru Good Sam.

I have all my insurance bundled, (Ford truck/Cyclone/motorcycle/homeowners/rental property policies and an umbrella) thru Safeco. I get a good discount by using a multi vehicle/multi policy discount. My Safeco policy covers roadside assistance for both my truck and Cyclone, and the extended warranty on the Cyclone also covers roadside assistance.

dbbls59

For me the only plus for Good Sam was to join a local chapter. A small group of families belong to a chapter and we camp together once a month, usually over a weekend, Friday thru Sunday. Some chapters, consisting of only retired people, may camp during the middle of the week instead of weekends. Once a year the state holds a Samboree in which all the chapters in a state will join for a huge campout. This usually runs from Thursday thru Sunday. They play games, have seminars teaching about RV related issues and host many venders selling RV products. For me if it wasn't for the local chapter I would not belong to Good Sam.

JanAndBill

For me the only plus for Good Sam was to join a local chapter. A small group of families belong to a chapter and we camp together once a month, usually over a weekend, Friday thru Sunday. Some chapters, consisting of only retired people, may camp during the middle of the week instead of weekends. Once a year the state holds a Samboree in which all the chapters in a state will join for a huge campout. This usually runs from Thursday thru Sunday. They play games, have seminars teaching about RV related issues and host many venders selling RV products. For me if it wasn't for the local chapter I would not belong to Good Sam.

We also belong to a local chapter, Sand Mountain Sams. We love our local group, it's like camping with an extended family.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Membership in the Good Sam Club can be on many levels. First, most join to get a discount at participating campgrounds. Most campgrounds offer the same discount for AAA as well as other discounts, military etc. In addition to campground discounts you can purchase for an additional cost an extended warranty, or roadside service, or medical transport coverage thru Good Sam.

I have all my insurance bundled, (Ford truck/Cyclone/motorcycle/homeowners/rental property policies and an umbrella) thru Safeco. I get a good discount by using a multi vehicle/multi policy discount. My Safeco policy covers roadside assistance for both my truck and Cyclone, and the extended warranty on the Cyclone also covers roadside assistance.

Camping World offers discounts in their stores and mostly free shipping on their website, http://www.campingworld.com .
Some of the CW discounts are only available to Good Sam members. I also found out by asking, that if your a Good Sam member, That my local camping world store may also price match the internet pricing from the their website, http://www.campingworld.com . I am not sure that this applies to all CW stores though.

dougw

I got a quote this morning on insurance and it was almost twice as what we are paying now. It was more than our auto insurance on one car.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A year or so ago Camping World did away with the President's Club for discounts and now uses the Good Sam Club in their place. We belong to Good Sam for a number of reasons: Camping Discounts, Camping World Discounts, Highways Magazine, Good Sam Rallies, Emergency Road Service, Good Sam Extended Warranty, and the Good Sam Website which has many features including trip routing for free.