Dodge 3500 DRW

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Could one of you Dodge experts out there please tell me how I can get information about dual wheel drive 3500 CDT trucks? I've visited Dodge.com and even the towing guide within the site, but I see no reference to DRWs.

Is this a factory option, or is this an add-on?

cdbMidland

Thanks, Jayc. I used the link, but I see that you have to shell out $35 in order to view some topics or to post a reply to anything. Not sure I want to do that.

I went back to Dodge.com and tried to configure a DRW model, but I can't figure out how to do that.

Besides, I would want to go with the Mega-Cab 2006 model if I had to change trucks. 2006 trucks are not available as yet on the build model (even though it is too late to build a 2005).

davebennington

Dodge DRW

Hi

You might try Dieselram.com they have alot of info on the Dodge truck. I do not think the Dodge Maga-ram 2006 truck would make a good tow vehicle because it has a short bed and while the cab area is bigger the towing capabilites is less and I don't think it is available in a dually. What are you trying to find out about the Dodge dually? I have a 2006 on order that is due in any day now.

dave

jbeletti

Hi Chuck,

I do not believe the MegaCab comes with a DRW option either.

As for DRW on current production models, I agree, it is confusing on the Dodge website. When I first configured my truck for price comparing, I got it wrong and had it as SRW and didn't even realize it.

But it is possible to do. I have attached images of the factory price sheet as well as the build sheet (window sticker) for reference. Depending on your area, you can probably order a truck below invoice if you shop well. I paid FWP (Factory WholeSale Price) minus the Dealer HB (hold back). I felt the dealer was nuts but they wanted the business and I was happier buying local than shipping one up to Chicago from a St. Louis dealer.

Best of luck to you.

Jim

Attachments

• ramprice[1].pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 17
  • ram_msrp_lg[1].jpg
    ram_msrp_lg[1].jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

cdbMidland

Thanks, Dave & Jim

Dave, I signed up for the website you mentioned and put a post into it.

Jim, thanks for your information. The window sticker does not mention either the bed size or the number of rear wheels - the build sheet did show DRW, but not bed length.

I played around with the website some more and found out that if I check 6.25' for the bed, I automatically get a SRW and for the 8' I automatically get a DRW - . Interesting enough was that I tried to build the same vehicle as DRW and as SRW that the DRW was only $112 more for basically the same options (SLT version).

I was amazed that the GVWR stayed the same at 9,900# for the DRW and the towing capacity remained the same at 16,350# for both. It seems that going to the DRW does not gain anything for me weight-wise. I was hoping to pick up some more weight on my hitch as the 3655RD empty is just under my scale rating for the truck's GVRW.

Am I missing something?????

davebennington

Drw

Chuck

I think the biggest difference between the DRW option and SRW is stability, I also think there is a difference in the load carrying, however not 100% sure of this.

Dave

cdbMidland

Dave, this is what is so mysterious to me. According to Dodge.com, the payload of the SRW is higher than the DWR (3,410 vs 3,290).

From the posts that I've seen, stability is greater in the DRW and probably stopping is also greater if all six wheels have rotors on them.

davebennington

Drw

Chuck,

The difference between the two is the weight carrying ability. The big three all play the weight game when it comes down to it. They all want bragging rights as to can haul the most, reguardless of any safety factor. Bottom line they just want you money. You don't realy think that one is that much better than the other do you? Just as long as you buy the truck and make it last until the warrenty runs out or the newer model catchs you eye that is the only thing that matters to them.

Dave:)

phranc

Gotta agree with you ,the dodge site is somewhat confusing . Looks as if the dually is standard in a SLT. The diesel option ,quad cab, 4x4 etc bumps the price up a bit. I have a 2004.5 and on my model year I got a credit for having the single rear wheel option .2005 credit is 1234.50..I have the quad cab,long bed, and have more than enough room and is easy to get in a nd out of. The load flat floor (option in 2004.5) and premium cloth seats were a good option for little money . Premium seats have the electric drivers seat. I diesel engine is so heavy that 4x4 is a good choice in my locale . My last ford diesel (powerstroke ) had only 2 wheel drive and was a real PITA in wet grass with camper or not . and winter snow sucked for traction. I hooked up to a Bighorn 3500RL the other day and I was only one inch high at the nose Not a problem as I can lower truck (neat trick with spring spacers ) or lower hitch one hole. 3600RL on order..
When pricing my build out last year I think I used KBB.com or perhaps Edmunds.com ..
Truck has been most satisfactory for us with NO problems and pulls present Jayco (35') like a rocket. We also use the truck as a second car and prefer to drive it instead of wifes jeep liberty when taking passengers on all day trips . More confortable .I can put 2 adults in back seat and a baby seat also..
Let us know how you make out..

cdbMidland

phranc

Thanks for the last two posts, including the link. I had not gone to the commercial section.

From what Scott Tuttle told me, the weights of the 3600RL and the 3655RD are basically the same, so the only difference between your truck and mine is bed length and axle ratio (mine is a 3.73) as we are both at a GVWR of 9,900#.

I guess the only thing that I can do is hitch up and see how the truck handles. I really do not want the long bed dually since I can't garage it and I'm right in the rust belt here in Michigan.

Chuck

Last edited:

phranc

Chuck,,I have same problen with garage/ driveway. Can't park in garage anyway, too full of 'stuff ( jeeps ,lawn mower etc.). I always thought if the srw wouldn't handle the RV because of weight or sway I would change to the Rickson Wheels . They are 19.5 instead of the 17 that are on truck at present. And load range 'J ' or 'K ' ..
see them here http://www.ricksontruck.com/
And BTW ,I have the 4.10 rears and 6 sp manual. Once I row through the gears and am at highway speed I rarely have to touch tranny. Last year we went from our home in central NY to Knoxville and then to Nashville and only had to down shift to buy fuel or stop for the night .. Present Jayco weighs 10400 almost empty and the on order Bighorn will weigh 2000# more . Using same trip as an example I may have to drop one gear on the steepest hills . Nothing to worry about..

Gas (diesel) Mileage On Dodge 3500 Dual

Would like to know what to expect hauling a Heatland Golden Gate with full-time package. Any clues?:rolleyes:

jbeletti

Wolffpack13,

I get 10 MPG (+/- .5) when towing my Mt. Rushmore. My guess is that you'll be a little heavier than me, maybe ~500# max. (you with dual-panes and 2 A/Cs). Doubt you'll see much difference in fuel economy. I've pulled with a lot of fresh water and a bit in the black/gray tanks and saw no change. My experience anyway. Others will chime in.

Jim

Cheryl

We averaged 10.8 on our trip - West Virginia to Myrtle Beach to Kentucky, to Colorado and then home again. Lots of mountains, the truck pulled the Golden Gate up them at 70mph in 5th gear with ease.

Tom of Ypsi

Just got back from a trip to Dayton, Oh and averaged 10.8 mpg doing 63 mph. On a trip to Petoskey, Mi I averaged 11.3 mpg doing 63 mph. Both trips were from home, Ypsilanti, Mi, just outside of Ann Arbor, Mi. More than satisfied with the truck:D

phranc

Witha gross of 21720 # we get between 10.5 and 11.5 depending upon speed and terrain... 6 sp manual trans and 4.10 gears