Rv gps

RollingStones

Big Horn 3610RE
So my husband and I are very new to RVing we have been out twice, loved it. Just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on the RV GPS is it worth getting?

jbbdc

My reply is strictly my humble opinion based on experience with multiple gps brands (Garmin, TomTom, Magellan, etc) that I’ve used while traveling. I’ve yet to find a gps that combines all the useful features I’d like. Seems like each has something I desire but I can’t find a gps that contains them all.

My last gps purchase cost me $800. At the time it was one of that brand’s best units. I hate it. One of the things I like to do is to be able to touch the screen to scroll around on the map. With this unit, when I touch the map it takes me to the main menu. Not what I want.

My solution. I bought an iPad 4 with Retina Display. There are so many navigation apps available for the iPad that I now have the most capable gps in my inventory. I can do everything I’ve always wanted...and more. Not to mention the iPad is also a tablet computer so there’s the functionality of that as well.

I’ve spoken with people who just can’t wrap their heads around the concept of using an iPad as their primary gps. They think it has to be a dedicated gps unit to be a valid navigation tool. Even the standard “Map” app included with the iPad has turn-by-turn voice guidance. Many times that’s all people need.

With the additional apps that can be downloaded for free or a minimal charge (as low as .99) one can get notifications for low clearances, nearby campgrounds, shopping, gas/diesel, etc.

When we’re traveling on a long stretch of highway where no guidance is needed for hours, my wife will use the iPad to search the internet, read emails, surf Facebook, etc. Granted, one must be on a data plan to do this. We just accept that as part of the cost for having this flexibility.

I’ll never go back to a stand-alone gps. The iPad has spoiled me.

jbeletti

...My solution. I bought an iPad 4 with Retina Display. There are so many navigation apps available for the iPad that I now have the most capable gps in my inventory. I can do everything I’ve always wanted...and more. Not to mention the iPad is also a tablet computer so there’s the functionality of that as well...I’ll never go back to a stand-alone gps. The iPad has spoiled me.

X2 on the iPad for GPS navigation. No plans here to go back to a dedicated GPS when I have so much more functionality with the iPad. I have mine mounted on a RAM Mount system and it can be swung around to the passenger when they need to look something up etc.

That said, it may be a bit too much tech for some.

danemayer

jbbdc,

The iPad is an interesting choice for a GPS. Which app did you settle on? Does that app or any you've tried route you away from low clearances based on your vehicle profile?

FiremanBill

Peersonal opinion... GPS is great as long as you already know where you are going...

I have only gotten lost once in my life before GPS, that was trying to find Soesterberg Air Base in the Netherlands... Since getting gps I have been sent the wrong way so many times it is not even funny. I usually catch it ahead of time but once in awhile I will have to backtrack to get going where I want to again.

I like the Ipad idea. I use my phone now but the bigger screen is alluring.

jbbdc

jbbdc,

The iPad is an interesting choice for a GPS. Which app did you settle on? Does that app or any you've tried route you away from low clearances based on your vehicle profile?

CoPilot Live HD has been very useful. I believe it cost me 19.99 to download and is the most expensive app I've purchased. However, I've downloaded some free or inexpensive apps that offer a lot of info. iExit, Mobile RVing, AllStays Truck and Travel, Around Me, Diesel Power Fuel Finder. You can have these apps up and running in the background and many will alert you when approaching areas of interest that you've previously set up. It's easy to have all of these running and scroll between them by putting 4 fingers on the screen and swiping left or right. The nice thing is many of these apps have their own map which shows your gps position relative to the POIs. They all run off the iPad's internal gps. It's like having multiple gps units lined up on your dashboard but nicely contained in one, large display.

The best thing about using the iPad is the ability to scroll around at will by touching the screen with 1 finger. I also like being able to zoom in/out without messing with those tiny +/- signs on the typical gps screen. With the iPad you just use 2 fingers on the screen and pinch to zoom out, expand your fingers to zoom in.

The low clearance app just tells where the low clearance issues are. Doesn't route you away from them.

Last edited:

happyappy

I agree with using a tablet...but it doesn't have to be an expensive iPad! I use a Nexus 7 tablet which is the perfect size to use on the dash. With CoPilot Live Premium you can download the map data for whole sections of the country before leaving home. With the maps loaded on the tablet, no data is required to use the GPS on the move. I use my phone as a hotspot when if I want to use other apps that require a data connection.

I stopped using a standalone GPS years ago when I bought my first android phone with google navigation. I've never looked back...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
X2 on the iPad for GPS navigation. No plans here to go back to a dedicated GPS when I have so much more functionality with the iPad. I have mine mounted on a RAM Mount system and it can be swung around to the passenger when they need to look something up etc.

That said, it may be a bit too much tech for some.

X3 on the iPad with Ram Mount.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We thought we liked the Rand McNally RV GPS, but we have the first generation, from 2010. After our most recent 3000 mile trip, we are ready for something new. There were times where the instructions were not clear, or not giving quite enough time to make the turns/change lanes, etc.

The good thing was that we were never put in danger of low clearance or road that our coach should not have been on.

I think they've made some improvements to the latest RM GPS's, so I think they have merit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happyappy

I noticed last night that there is a CoPilot GPS app available specifically for Truckers. This version is substantially more expensive ($149 !!), but allows you to input more precise guidelines for height, weight, and other restrictions that may be important for routing.

Much more expensive than the standard version, but not that expensive compared to some of the RV specific GPS units out there....

jbbdc

A useful alternative to the CoPilot Trucker app at $149 (insane price) is http://www.allstays.com/apps/truckstops.htm#description . This app will run independently of the CoPilot Live HD app and is only $9.99. I use it often for trip planning.

In all my years of rv'ing I've never encountered a low clearance I couldn't get under. I was always concerned about this because we pulled our Mobile Suites with Volvo 770 tractor. The top of the truck's sleeper was 13' 6". Higher than the MS.

RollingStones

Big Horn 3610RE
Need to do a exact measurment! 13 6 is pretty close. Looks high from the drivers seat! Had to trim trees to get out of the camp ground last weekend. Thanks for the link.