Heartland North Trail NO antenna?

DanaN

I just bought a new North Trail 24RBS with a touch screen am/fm/wb radio cd/dvd player. I can't pick up any radio stations and the guy at Heartland says there is a wire antenna behind the player but, regardless, it just doesn't pick anything up. I live 2 miles from a radio station that I can't pick up. Has anyone installed a roof top automotive type antenna and if so, is it hard to install. Any tips. Can I tie the radio into the TV antenna? Frustrated. Brand new trailer and can't pick up any radio or weather alerts.

danemayer

Hi DanaN,

Congratulations on your new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland family and to the Owners Forum.

Some people have used a splitter to tie in the antenna coax as an antenna for the radio.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a look at that wire (Dipole) antenna. It may still be coiled up or not connected.
For this half wave length antenna to work, it must be stretched out, not merely attached.
The automotive (Monopole) antenna would be a good idea, although a lot more work. You can get one that mounts through the wall rather than putting a hole in the roof.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

justafordguy

Sounds like they forgot to plug in the antenna when the radio was installed. Take it back and make the dealer fix it under warranty.

TXTiger

Like cookie says, pull the radio out and check that the dipole antenna is plugged in and stretched out. This will help but is still a poor antenna. I mostly use my iPod so it doesn't bother me.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As mentioned a little earlier, Use a splitter and tie into the TV antenna. This, of course, depends on the type of connection on the rear of the receiver. Radio Shack and other places have loads of adapters to choose from. Sadly the selling dealer left this off of their PDI.

pegmikef

If that is the touch audio system, mine uses an external antenna and the unit has a plug in for it. My NT came with an external whip antenna

wb2nco

Same issue here. No external whip antenna. The Touch Audio apparently relys on the dipole antenna which in most cases depending where the location of the radio, has no room to stretch out. Mine in just sandwiched behind the radio where there is no place to lay it out. I get OK reception. If tapping in the coax, does someone make an adapter? Sample image?

Papa81494

Our Heartland Prowler doesn't have an exterior or dipole antenna. The antenna connection on the radio is just there. I'm having a hard time understanding why they'd cheap out on a $8 exterior antenna. I'm bringing it in this weekend for more warranty work and will discuss with the dealer. Depending on the response I get from them, I may end up installing my own.

priorguy

I never use the radio in my north trail, but i was on the roof to clean the gutters and install a maxxair vent cover and saw the automotive antennae on the roof. I had the touch audio removed to disconnect the outside speakers and it was connected the same as a car stereo.

Papa81494

The issue is no antenna period. If the intention was to run off the TV antenna, they still missed the cable part of it. At the dealer now and they are going to resolve along with other issues.

JRBEN

I have a 2011 NT 26LRSS with Touch Audio. We didn't have the coiled up antenna behind the unit like many others have mentioned. We actually have a whip style antenna on the roof of the unit that is attached to the Touch Audio unit. When we first bought the unit we didn't have any reception either. I went up on the roof and the whip antenna, which screws onto its base, was loose. Once I tightened it, everything worked fine.