Siezed Vent cover?

travis_g

I have a 2013 RW415 and today I was going to install my MaxxAir covers but when I went to open the vent cover in the garage, which is electric and powered by a remote switch, the cover would not activate. The fuses are good and the fan will come on but the motor to open the vent will not turn. I climbed up and tried to turn it by hand and can't get it to rotate. You think the motor has gone bad? Any suggestions on getting it loose?

Thanks!

jbeletti

Could be the cover is just stuck. Maybe have to turn the switch on and try to open the cover from the outside. If it does open, wipe some 303 protectant around the cover base.

travis_g

Thanks Jim! I actually resolved it :D I unscrewed the motor from the gear and it still didn't turn on. And I couldn't turn the motor shaft with pliers. I noticed there is a little reducer gear attached to the end of the little electric motor so I removed it. Those gears turned freely but the motor shaft would not turn on power or with fingers. I grabbed it with needle nose pliers and gave it a twist and it turned after a little resistance. Then I tested the switch and sure enough the motor spun under power. After reassembly the vent cover opens as it should. Hope this helps someone in the future. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you call Fantastic fan they will most likely send you a new motor...FREE. They are good people to work with.