What's the poop on composting toilets?

jbbdc

I never really gave them much thought until recently. I know they've been around for years and common in boats. Lately, I've been reading up on them and their application in rvs is appealing to me.

We won't boondock so the benefit in that regard isn't a factor. The benefit I would get from a composting toilet is the fact that the black tank is eliminated from the sewer equation. Two people full timing would only need to empty the composting bin once a month or more on average. The liquid side would be emptied more often.

No chemicals and no foul odors. The peat moss used breaks down the solids and paper and leaves a dirt odor. A small 12 volt computer fan draws air in and exits through a vent. The compost gets dumped into a plastic bag and can be thrown into a dumpster since it's not a bio-hazard.

Granted, everything I've mentioned is from reading and watching videos. No personal experience. Would be interested in opinions. I'm seriously considering installing one in the Landmark when we get it.