ATF: ElkRidge - Water heater not firing

bumblis

We are on our initial cross country trip with our new 5th wheel. We have followed the instructions to ignite the water heater. We are not hearing any clicking sounds from the spark igniter. Are we missing a step or switch?

we are too old for cold showers.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
make sure the switch in the outside access for the heater is on. hopefully it is that simple

bumblis

Thx so much. I have both 12V and 120 switches on and it is working. my question is can I fire up the hot water heater with just the 120 switch on? I ask because I thought I needed the 12v on to ignite the water heater regardless if I was using the propane or 120.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is no 12 volt switch.
If you are referring to the small black rocker switch located on the water heater itself, that is also a 120 volt switch. This can be left on at all times.
It's a good idea to turn that rocker switch off when draining the water heater.
For LP operation, you only need to turn the little switch on that is located on the gauge panel.

Peace
Dave

I am new to the forum. I purchased a Elkridge 22 6mo ago and was given a generic operators manual by Camping world. I would like to know how can I access the rear of the hot water heater from inside the coach. I know it is directly under the refrig and there is a panel with two screws. I removed both screws but the panel does not come out. It appears the two screws are only holding some behind the panel. I will be winterizing the unit in another month so would like to see if there is a bypass valve installed and if not I plan to install one. I would greatly appreciate any info on this issue.

danemayer

Hi sbtraveler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is the place to get answers and I'm sure another Elkridge owner will chime in shortly with specific info about access to the water heater bypass controls and the location of the antifreeze suction hose.

On many of the full-size 5'ers, these are located in the Universal Docking Center (UDC). But I'm guessing your rig doesn't have that or you wouldn't be asking.

We do have some owner-written manuals including a comprehensive Water Systems Guide. It doesn't cover the details of every different configuration, but there's quite a bit of information that you may find useful. There's also a subset of that manual that covers Winterization.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thx so much. I have both 12V and 120 switches on and it is working. my question is can I fire up the hot water heater with just the 120 switch on? I ask because I thought I needed the 12v on to ignite the water heater regardless if I was using the propane or 120.

If you have shore power, you can run the water heater using only the 120V function. If you're boondocking, then leave the 120V switch off and use the propane (heater) switch on the monitor panel. You can, however, run the water heater on both 120V and 12V at the same time to get a faster recovery, like if two or more people want to take showers. Sometimes, if the propane tanks have been off for a while, it helps to light a stove burner to clear the air from the lines. If you turn on the propane switch, it should light up and the little LED next to it will also come on. Within 15 seconds, the LED should go out and you should hear the burner firing. If the LED comes back on, the system is in lock-out. Turn off the switch, wait 15 seconds, and try it again. If it continues to go into lock-out, you have a problem, possibly with the circuit board.

If the LED does not come on and the burner does not fire, check the Hi-Temp/Thermostat button on the face of the heater. It may need to be reset by pushing it. My recent problem was the Hi-Temp/Thermostat switch failed and I had to replace it. The button on the right is for the 12V system, the one on the left is for 120V.

ICamel

There should be 4 screws holding the access panel in place. Yes there should be bypass valves that are easily accessible behind the panel, as well as the back side of the hot water heater. It may also be that the panel is a tight fit and sometimes you need to keep one of the screws partially engaged in the panel and use the screw as a handle to pull the panel out. I also have the E22 model and that is the way mine is set up.
I am new to the forum. I purchased a Elkridge 22 6mo ago and was given a generic operators manual by Camping world. I would like to know how can I access the rear of the hot water heater from inside the coach. I know it is directly under the refrig and there is a panel with two screws. I removed both screws but the panel does not come out. It appears the two screws are only holding some behind the panel. I will be winterizing the unit in another month so would like to see if there is a bypass valve installed and if not I plan to install one. I would greatly appreciate any info on this issue.