Water pump NOT working - Shurflo 5.7

lavadg

I was wondering if anyone had problems with their water pump not turning on. Before it stopped working, I also realized it was fluctuating in pressure (after reading about these pumps…they have a variable speed motor and should keep water pressure pretty constant. Our Cyclone has a Shurflo 5.7 5900-0201 pump. After testing all the electrical, I realized that there was something else wrong (Also a note: the pump has a 2nd fuse next to it) I removed the pump and took the top piece off that holds the pressure sender/switch where there is a very small hole that allows water to pass to the sensor. I then turned on the pump and forced water out of the hole (thinking there may be something stuck). Put the pump back together and was working again. My questing is…..Has anyone had a sensor go out or do these pumps get clogged that easily. I really don’t want to put the pump back in if it needs to be replaced.

Loco

The pressure switch can go bad. I had one go out on our old trailer and yes just a piece of trash can stop up the hole going to the switch. I had a piece of plastic get in our unit. It most likey came from the tank or when they cut the water lines and did not blow them out before putting them together. I figured.

lavadg

Update:

Well, after cleaning the pump and putting everything back together….the pump stopped working again :( . I guess the pump has a bad pressure sensor. Heartland said they would pay for a new pump and I could install it myself.:)

BluegrassMan

I have problems with my pump, the electrical switching went out. There is a device in the battery compartment that is a controller of the 3 switches on the trailer. There also are relays back in the basement area. I have a dealer scratching their heads and calling Heartland about this. In the mean time I cobbed up a toggle switch direct to the battery and pump, bypassing the switching. IT WORKS.( I needed my trailer ) I have to take it back to have them finish the job and get it back the way the factory built it.

truknutt

Committed Member
"Who's Your Dealer?"

Bluegrass,

I see that you're calling Shady Grove your homebase ... New Franklin here! I have a Cyclone due to arrive in a couple weeks (second one but, that's in another posting) up in Hamburg at Boat -N- RV (across from Cabela's).

I have been to Stoltzfus' in Adamstown and understand that Reichart's in Hanover now carries some of the Heartland models. Do you have a dealer that's closer to home than these? Reichart's isn't really that far but, I don't know anything about their reputation for service.

We bought our last unit from Keystone in Greencastle and, well, let's just say that they were close to home! 'nuff said.

Thanks,

donabel

new pump problem

I just had tyo use my pump for the first or second time since picking up the unit in Mar, 2007. Now i am noticing that when the switch in the trailer is turned on I can hear the motor running constantly. I have water when I open the tap, and I hea rthe pump clicking. When I close the tap, I hear a humming sound. Any one have a clue?
Heartland has not returned my call as yet.

Thanks for any help,
Don

oldcrab

Don't know if this will help. Try bleeding all of your water lines. Hot and cold Air lock will cause your pump to hum and not shut off.

rtataryn

My Shurflo 5.7 stopped working on the first day of my first trip - after about 2 hours of use. Luckily I had access to a water hose and used that for that weekend. After an internet search, it seems others have had some problems with the 5.7. It seems to center around the pressure sensor going bad. The Shurflo installation manual states to eliminate any unnecessary elbow fittings in order to minimize backpressure and allow the pump to run freely. My pump in my new Cyclone 3010 was installed with 90 elbows directly on both the inlet and outlet sides of the pump. This may have caused the pressure sensor to malfunction, but I haven't got a diagnosis from Shurflo yet as to why it actually failed.

I ended up ordering a new pump - overnight delivery - and installed it so that I wouldn't have any down time. When Shurflo repairs/replaces my original pump I'll keep it as a back-up. I made sure I installed the new pump without any elbow fittings . . . just a straight shot in and out, and it has been working fine now for two weeks.

Yianni

Thanks for the update.
We rely on our pump exclusively since we only dry camp. It always helps when members follow up or update a thread with remedies. Now we can save a lot of time not having to research if this were to happen to us.

Paul & Nan

We have done in number 2 water pump in our 06 BH 3670. Dry camping for a week, had to carry water and not shower in the rig. We will be changing to a pump recommeded by our Heartland dealer, Four Winds, in Maroa, IL. Do not know what the numbers in the previous post relate to, but he says it is a variable speed, 4 GPM pump which should serve well. We hope so as it is getting very tiresome to not have a pump on two out of three trips with the rig, and the other trip we had hookups. Nan

Hey I have an 09 3950, when we turn on the water @ the sink or shower etc, it sounds like the trailer wants to take off. Big load noises rattles the pipes and walls. embarrassing when friends are over. Has this happened to anyone, Dealer tells me that this is normal

Paul & Nan

No, not normal, the factory does not insulate all the pipes well, nor do they worry about how the pump is fastened down. see our previous post about failure as well. We mostly dry camp and have gone through two pumps in less than a year, and only 3 camping trips, two of which have required the pump. The pump noise would wake the dead in my opinion. We are having water pump #3 installed this week, an upgraded one, at our expense, so that we may go more than one camping trip, hopefully, without loosing the pump. We paid good money for a rig we could use whenever, how ever, with no worries, but between that and firdge problems (another story) we are ticked. And this is our second BigHorn. Not always Heartlands problem, but I really think that they install inferiour pumps at the best, feeling tha most folks do not use them anyway, but, some of us do. Nan

jbeletti

...I really think that they install inferiour pumps at the best... Nan

Nan,

I know in LM the pump is the Shurflo 5.7 ZExtreme. Not sure what is in the BH. Shurflo I am pretty sure. Is your pump black plastic or silver metal? If it's black plastic, it the best one Shurflo makes.

Are there better brands out there? I do not know. Please let us know if you know of a better (less inferior) brand. We want to see customers be able to use their pumps. I know Shurflo had a rash of bad ones from what I've read. I'd think they were through that period by now but perhaps not or at least not with your.

Keep us in the loop in your own thread on how you come out so we can all learn from it.

Jim

racefan

I have an '07 Cyclone 4012 and the pump was sporatic from the start.
Would run all the time when on and would randomly stop pumping in mid-stream (seemed to loose prime)
Turn off, then on again and it would work for a few minutes then stop pumping.
Finally started leaking.
Called Shurflo and it has a three year warranty so they are replacing.
It is the best Shurflo pump made (Extreme 5.7) unfortunately no one keeps parts in stock :-(

I must say its the most frustrating thing to go wrong!

MrBill

I have the Shurflo Extreme 5.7 pump in my rig. I went through three pumps, two in one week. I returned to Camping World where I bought the second and third pumps and talked to the service manager. Luckily I had taken the filter with the pump. The manager said I would continue burning out pumps as long as I continued to use the wrong filter. He said I had the small filter and the 5.7 pump needed a larger filter. This was the filter that came from the factory. I bought the big filter and my 4th pump has worked fine for 6 months now. BTW Shurflo stood behind their warranty each time.

Re: new pump problem

I just had tyo use my pump for the first or second time since picking up the unit in Mar, 2007. Now i am noticing that when the switch in the trailer is turned on I can hear the motor running constantly. I have water when I open the tap, and I hea rthe pump clicking. When I close the tap, I hear a humming sound. Any one have a clue?
Heartland has not returned my call as yet.

Thanks for any help,
Don

Bringing an old thread form them dead. But I just found out mine is doing the same thing as stated above. Pump will hum when the faucet is off. There's no leak, I closed all the line fitting to the pump and it still does the same thing and bleed the lines by turning all the faucets on. Is the pressure valve in the pump going bad?

aatauses

Re: new pump problem

I also had pump issues and when we stopped at the dealer he found a hose that was crimped. They installed a new hose and kept the 90 to attach to the pump?? Another thing I noticed was that the small piece of hose that is usually near the pump was removed----I thought I remembered reading someshere that the small piece of hose should not be removed??? anyone rememebr this?? and what is the purpose of the small piece of hose??
al

I called shurflo on Friday before heading out to Death Valley telling them my pump is not shutting down all the way. The gentleman from tech support told me to screw the fillips head screw counter clockwise to adjust the pressure. Will I got back from my weekend and went to adjust it yesterday and found the pump leaking from the front face. I called Shurflo today and talked with the warranty dept. saying the pump is leaking and would like a repair kit to fix the pump. No repair kit available for the 5.7. So a replacement is needed. But then she goes on saying if its the oem unit its only warranted for 1 year....and the aftermarket one is 3 years. I'm hoping when I check my pump this afternoon it has the aftermarket part #. If not, I guess I need to buy one as my trailer is an 08'.