TST TPMS saves the day

Ladiver

We have our brand new Cyclone 3100 ready to go. I wanted to take it to the scales and weigh it. I also have a 2013 3500HD that was due for its first oil change. I figured get the truck serviced and make sure everything is ready to pull this large trailer. I informed service that I woul be pulling a 15K fifth wheel and made sure they filled the tires properly. (I know many dealers under-inflate for a better ride) I picked up the truck after oil change, tire rotation and a few minor fixes. Checked all the paperwork and it was good. All system had been signed off and tire pressures were noted. I had my brand new TST 507 system with me and decided to hook it up before I left the dealer. Immediately, I got warnings on the 2 rear tires. It was saying air pressure of 55psi. The tires are stamped 80psi, as is the sticker in the door. I turned around and had them recheck with there gauge to see if it was me or them that had the problem. Sure enough, they only filled to 60psi. So much for paperwork saying 80psi. IDIOTS!

At 80psi, the tires are rated to 3525. Given a single rear wheel truck, that is 7050 for tires (also the GAWR RR). I know my trailer is safe with my truck, but I am also on the high end of the weight capacities. I am really curious what the weight rating of the tire is when only filled to 55psi.

I really would be curious if the dealer would ever take responsibility for a tire malfunction due to under-inflation of a tire. There is almost no reason to go to dealer, besides buying and having warranty work done. Evne then, I think Tesla Motors has the right idea. Get rid of dealers.

Jeff

porthole

Retired
Jeff, I spent just over 18 years in new car service. I can tell just about every single new vehicle went out the door with low pressure to enhance the ride.

As to getting service, there were those of us who always did the job right the first time and those that didn't.
Many more of the second category.

MCTalley

I'm sure the 15K part of your statement went in one ear and out the other. In my experience, I've found that I have to explicitly ask the shop to inflate my tires to a specific pressure (i.e. 80 PSI in your case).

Even at that, I've found some company-owned tires shops to have fixed safety rules. Prime example is when I went to a Goodyear dealer to get G614's installed on the trailer (max PSI of 110, my trailer weight dictates at least 100-105 PSI). When I told the service tech as he was airing up the first one to put 105 PSI in the tires, he shook his head and said that Goodyear's shop rules stated he wasn't allowed to put more than 95 PSI in them. I had to drag out my own compressor later and add a few more pounds.

Ladiver

I agree with all of you. I just find it amazing that they have paperwork stating they filled front to 60 and rear to 80. I guess people are writing down what they "think" the customer wants.

Next task is to find someplace that will fill a cylinder with nitrogen. My truck and trailer tires have been filled with nitrogen. I personally don't think there is any difference, but whatever. I don't pay for the fills or top offs. Seeing that shops don't do what they are supposed to do, I will have to do my own bump ups. I can do it, just need to get a tank filled with nitrogen. I have regularly used scuba tanks to fill tires with air.

Jeff

wdk450

I recently had a tire shop install 2 new Load Range G, 110 PSI tires on my 16K GVW Bighorn. When I checked them at my storage yard, I found they had inflated them to 85 psi!!!

I only have a 4 sensor TPMS system on the Bighorn, but since the receiver holds old readings, and I am not sure it is always getting new readings when I pull out, part of my pullout prep is to have the receiver in hand, select the tire I am at, remove the sensor on the timer, make sure i get an alarm on the receiver, then reattach the sensor and check the current pressure reading. I repeat this for all 4 tires.

BTW, I was cruising West on I-80 through Wyoming at my usual 55 MPH when a pickup truck with a 5er passed me at about 65 to 70 mph. About 20 miles up the road guess what I saw? The truck and 5er at the side of the road with 2 blown tires on 1 side.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I'm sure the 15K part of your statement went in one ear and out the other. In my experience, I've found that I have to explicitly ask the shop to inflate my tires to a specific pressure (i.e. 80 PSI in your case).

Even at that, I've found some company-owned tires shops to have fixed safety rules. Prime example is when I went to a Goodyear dealer to get G614's installed on the trailer (max PSI of 110, my trailer weight dictates at least 100-105 PSI). When I told the service tech as he was airing up the first one to put 105 PSI in the tires, he shook his head and said that Goodyear's shop rules stated he wasn't allowed to put more than 95 PSI in them. I had to drag out my own compressor later and add a few more pounds.

I had a Discount Tire tell me something similar. I told them that they are going to be liable for any injuries or damages that occur due to under inflation of my tires. Then they decided to inflate the G614 to the required 110 psi.

danemayer

I recently had a tire shop install 2 new Load Range G, 110 PSI tires on my 16K GVW Bighorn. When I checked them at my storage yard, I found they had inflated them to 85 psi!!!
Goodyear says: "Tires that have lost more than 20% of their recommended inflation pressure should be considered flat." They further recommend inspection by a Goodyear Dealer to see if the tires have suffered permanent damage. Of course there's no telling when such damage might manifest in an ugly way.

Assuming your 16K trailer probably has a bit less than 14K on the wheels (2K or so on the pinbox), your wheel weights are probably close to 3500# on average. If none of your individual wheel weights exceeded 3550#, the required inflation would have been 100psi. At 85psi, if you weren't driving faster than 65, you would have barely escaped being 20% underflated. But if you have one wheel carrying a few hundred pounds more than the others, which isn't all that unusual, you might have been in the damage territory. You'd have a little more margin if you were driving slower than 65, and hopefully a short distance, so you may still be ok.