Remodeling

We are full timers so we want to be comfortable in our home. Under our picture window is a computer desk, fireplace, stereo, and tv that is hidden when not in use. The sofa is on the kitchen slide.
We want to do this: get rid of the computer desk, move the rest of the things to the kitchen slide and get a larger sofa for under the picture window. Has anyone done anything like this and what are the pros and cons? Outside of the cosmetic part, is it doable? Of course we would have to put in another outside cable outlet.

Attachments

• CIMG0203.jpg
    CIMG0203.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 369
  • CIMG0204.jpg
    CIMG0204.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 360

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
The first thing you need to do is measure the depth of the rear area...whatever you put there you need to be able to close the slides. For a normal sized couch you need at least 39-40 inches.

Thanks, that's something we don't usually think about. :eek:

We might keep the small sofa for a while, it's the same width as the fireplace. Then maybe a futon? Don't know yet, we just want to be sure that everything else is ok first.

Garypowell

I can see from the second photo why you need another couch ;). Beside the fit you will have to reroute your speaker, power, and cable lines.

This may or may not be easy as you might have to drop the bottom to do this. For example your heater is on its own circuit (at least in my rig it is) and if you simply plug into a kitchen circuit you might not be able to heat and make coffee at the same time.

Don't blame you for doing this but think through the wiring first.

danemayer

We have the Landmark with rear entertainment similar to yours The countertops and side cabinetry/shelves are wider than the sofa and wouldn't fit if we tried this on ours.

wino2

Has the slumbering pooch approved of your redecorating ideas. If it is more room for him most likely he will like the changes.

ParkIt

Has the slumbering pooch approved of your redecorating ideas. If it is more room for him most likely he will like the changes.
That was my first thought as well ;)

Moving a couch to that area wouldn't be much of an issue but as mentioned, you are probably going to have to run new wiring and make sure the depth is correct when moving the fireplace/TV/stereo to where the couch is now. You might want to check with some custom cabinet builders in your area, some can build new 'stations' with all the proper wiring exactly the way you want it down to the finish on the cabinets.
A friend did that in their 08' unit and it turned out beautiful, looked factory new and didn't cost near as much as when they researched with various dealerships, RV repair and manufacture offerings. Since the husband is a licensed HAM operator they had a center built in when they swapped the space, it didn't take up much room and both are really happy with it.

Has the slumbering pooch approved of your redecorating ideas. If it is more room for him most likely he will like the changesUOTE]

He would be happy wherever we put it. He uses it more than we do.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Guess this takes a little more thought than just tearing everything out and then trying to put it back together. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Lance & Jo

Couple more thoughts. When I removed our desk/fireplace I found that the staples holding it togather had been put in from the outside and left an area that had to be covered up when building in the new desk. I wanted a full length sofa under the rear window but couldn't find one that was narrow enough to allow the slides to clear and had to resort to building my own. The good news is I have a comfortable place to watch the football games and more storage but trying to sleep on it is a lot like sleeping on a tree limb! 6. Couch.JPG

ParkIt

Nice build on the sofa, it must look larger in the picture than it is?
I remember and old KIT a friend had, he took a piece of plywood 14" deep and attached a matching cloth piece just below where the cushion rests. When he wanted more depth he would pull it out 12". He had matching 'throw pillows' that fit snug between the bottom and top cushions and plenty of room to lay down flat without having to build extra supports on the expansion piece. His back was shot from construction so he needed that extra space on the couch, you could probably do the same on yours too.

CIMG0272.jpgCIMG0273.jpgHere is the finished project. We got rid of the riser for the tv, it didn't work half the time anyway. Found the bookcases at Walmart and cut them down to size. We cut the top of the old workstation in half and used it for the top of the bookcases. We narrowed the couch to fit between the slides when traveling but can be expanded to full size when we are stationary. Works for us. We still have full use of the window behind the tv and we have our picture window too. Also got rid of the valances and added curtain rods for grommetted drapes so we can pull them shut easily.

p.s. the dog doesn't have any objections about the move. He can keep an eye on everyone outside without getting off the couch.

Last edited:

ParkIt

It does look great, I like it better than the original floorplan.

And it seems you have full approval from the dog, always a bonus :)

I personally think any rv designer has to live in one for at least a year before making a floor plan. Maybe then they will put the tv where a person can watch it without making an appointment with a chiropractor (?) for a stiff neck for one thing. They would have to try out all the appliances, seating arrangements, check cabinet spaces, storage, etc.

Where the couch was we couldn't use the remote for the stereo because the arm was blocking it. Who thought up that brilliant idea?:rolleyes: