Wireless camera

Kblock108

Has anyone set up a wireless camera and view the image from an aftermarket radio with video capabilities? My new truck has an after market Sony DVD, love to hook up a wireless to view from inside the cab.

SailorDon

Has anyone set up a wireless camera and view the image from an aftermarket radio with video capabilities? My new truck has an after market Sony DVD, love to hook up a wireless to view from inside the cab.

I don't know specifically about wireless camera to SONY DVD. Some things I have found while searching the web for a wireless backup system.

Reviews state that most wireless backup camera signals have a lot of video interference when driving down the highway. Seems as if a wired camera is the only way to go if you want to monitor the second trailer in a double tow (my specific application).
Wireless is OK for slow speeds, like backing your travel trailer into a campsite parking pad.

I'm not happy about having to put camera wires the full length of my travel trailer plus the length from the hitch on my truck to the dashboard in the truck for the monitor.
And of course the connector that is required for when you unhitch your rig.

But right now I'm rejecting the wireless camera solution since I do not want to be monitoring wireless electronic "snow".

piet10

I took an unconventional approach to a wireless camera. I didn't want to run a wire from the rear of the trailer to the truck, spend big money on a regular wireless system, nor have another monitor on my dash.

My approach was to buy a Foscam IP surveillance camera for $85 (link here (http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html ). It mounts inside the coach under the rear cabinet looking out the back window. This meant I didn't have to run any power wires outside, or drill mounting holes. It removes easily with a knob when not in use. It is powered by a 120 volt wall plug, but the camera is actually 5 volts. Right now I am using a portable battery pack with a built in inverter which gives me 7 hours of service. In the future I'll look for a 12 volt to 5 volt converter and eliminate the battery pack.

I had an old Linksys router, that I powered from a 12 volt outlet hidden under the entertainment center. These can be found on Ebay for $10, but any router will do. This creates a Wireless LAN in the trailer with the IP camera. I can view the picture from the truck using my iPhone or iPad using standard wireless settings and a free App from Surveillance Pro. With this app I can also tilt the camera up and down, and side to side from inside the truck.

I like to use this setup in the city or in traffic to see what is in my rear blind spot. It would also be good to see your towed boat trailer. We also use it as a baby monitor when the grandkids are sleeping and we are outside, as it has night vision infrared capability. The picture is very clear, and free from the interference experienced by other camera systems. And it was cheap!

Al

HOC#2260

SailorDon

I took an unconventional approach to a wireless camera. I didn't want to run a wire from the rear of the trailer to the truck, spend big money on a regular wireless system, nor have another monitor on my dash.

The picture is very clear, and free from the interference experienced by other camera systems. And it was cheap!

Al

HOC#2260

That's a design concept that hadn't occurred to me. That could be the perfect solution for me. And my back window is the bathroom window. I'm sure I can find a place to tap into 12 VDC back there and wire up a small inverter to power the camera.

Neat idea. I'm going to check out the details and see if I can get it to work for me.

Thanks! :)

Hey Kblock108, I am also looking forward to install Wireless camera at Home. If any suggestion you come across, please let me know, like what kind of specifications or product should I go for ?

I came across various surveillance systems like I got through IP cameras, DVR recording systems, CCTV cameras. But now I am confused which system should I get installed and from where ? I got few options from my friend's circle and they recommended me Q-see as they are providing an extended warranty period. But I want to get few more suggestions so that I could be sure of what I want. Thank you :)

Ahaa!!! qsee, I have heard of it, yeah those guys do provide good products, I purchased a DVR system from them earlier, it works fine, see if you could find more cheap than it in the market, if yes, do tell me about it too ;-)

Wmnmy

Sams club has several I got the 4 camera system with dvr records 365 and starts over after the last say I can monitor my home when im away and it has a night feature if someone walks by the infer red brightens up aslo you can set it to email you if someone walks by either camera for 400$ had it bout 7 years works with the iphone or any internet smartphone .

happyappy

My approach was to buy a Foscam IP surveillance camera for $85 (link here (http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html ). It mounts inside the coach under the rear cabinet looking out the back window. This meant I didn't have to run any power wires outside, or drill mounting holes. It removes easily with a knob when not in use. It is powered by a 120 volt wall plug, but the camera is actually 5 volts. Right now I am using a portable battery pack with a built in inverter which gives me 7 hours of service. In the future I'll look for a 12 volt to 5 volt converter and eliminate the battery pack.

I had an old Linksys router, that I powered from a 12 volt outlet hidden under the entertainment center. These can be found on Ebay for $10, but any router will do. This creates a Wireless LAN in the trailer with the IP camera. I can view the picture from the truck using my iPhone or iPad using standard wireless settings and a free App from Surveillance Pro. With this app I can also tilt the camera up and down, and side to side from inside the truck.

I like to use this setup in the city or in traffic to see what is in my rear blind spot. It would also be good to see your towed boat trailer. We also use it as a baby monitor when the grandkids are sleeping and we are outside, as it has night vision infrared capability. The picture is very clear, and free from the interference experienced by other camera systems. And it was cheap!

Al

HOC#2260

Al,

I had the exact same idea since I have a router installed in my coach already. however, when researching cameras I read that there was a significant lag to the video. Enough that I wouldn't have confidence using it when moving to judge distance. Have you seen any video delays?

400$ is quite expensive for me to be honest, I can't afford it, that's out of my range. I would go for a low cost 4 camera system provided by https://www.q-see.com/. If you really want to save your valuable money and get the desired camera, then go for it or else, you can waste money. It's your choice dear.

LeeRox

Al,

I had the exact same idea since I have a router installed in my coach already. however, when researching cameras I read that there was a significant lag to the video. Enough that I wouldn't have confidence using it when moving to judge distance. Have you seen any video delays?

Thanks for a great idea.
I haven't mounted it in the coach yet, but when I set up the camera and router the other day the camera was pointed at the football game on tv and the lag was about half a second.
My router label says 2.5 amps for input but my Killawatt showed a .19 amp draw for both the camera and router. I wonder if I can tap into a cheap 12v to usb plugin adapter without burning it up.
Is the range of the router great enough to reach from the back of a 5th wheel to the pickup or should I put the router in the middle?

happyappy

Thanks for a great idea.
I haven't mounted it in the coach yet, but when I set up the camera and router the other day the camera was pointed at the football game on tv and the lag was about half a second.
My router label says 2.5 amps for input but my Killawatt showed a .19 amp draw for both the camera and router. I wonder if I can tap into a cheap 12v to usb plugin adapter without burning it up.
Is the range of the router great enough to reach from the back of a 5th wheel to the pickup or should I put the router in the middle?

I'm not sure about powering the router from a usb adapter. I use a small inverter to power my router from time to time with no problems. Not all routers are equal when it comes to transmission distance, but I would think most any wifi router would reach from the back of the coach to the front of the truck cab with no problems. I've sat outside my coach in front of the pin and had stong service from mine.

A half second delay doesn't sound too bad. I may look into this set up for my coach.

LeeRox

I'm not sure about powering the router from a usb adapter. I use a small inverter to power my router from time to time with no problems. Not all routers are equal when it comes to transmission distance, but I would think most any wifi router would reach from the back of the coach to the front of the truck cab with no problems. I've sat outside my coach in front of the pin and had stong service from mine.

A half second delay doesn't sound too bad. I may look into this set up for my coach.

Now why didn't I think of that? I have two or three inverters sitting around from when I used to power a laptop before getting a truck with the inverter built in. Melted a Radio Shack 80 watt but it still works.