Safety chains on Cyclone 3814, where??

Recently bought a 2011 Cyclone 3814, the previous owner did not use safety chains and I cannot see where they would hook up to. It does have a breakaway cable for the brakes.
It seems odd there would be no safety chains on a 5th wheel. If you are using them it would be great to have a photo of where they attach.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never seen a 5th wheel using safety chains. The break away is all that is required as far as I know.

jimtoo

Never seen safety chains on a fifth wheel,,, but think they are required on gooseneck hitches. Both require breakaway switches I think.

Jim M

ILH

Safety chains on a 5th wheel? Only ever seen them on travel trailers.

truknutt

Committed Member
I have seen them on occassion. If you happen to use a 5er to gooseneck (GN) adapter you have to use them as you are essentially a GN at that point. Pic #2 is of the loops that install on the universal rail system. Pic #4 is of the coupler used for GN trailers.

Most common safety system for 5ers is something like the Bedsaver or the Butches Services model Pics #1 & #3, respectively.

Attachments

• Safety chains2.jpg
    Safety chains2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Safety chains.jpg
    Safety chains.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 5th-latch.jpg
    5th-latch.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 33
  • bedsaver.jpg
    bedsaver.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 29

GOTTOYS

Not required on a fifth wheel in any State. Ever see them on a semi? However, if you use a fifth wheel to goose neck adapter, then it is considered a goose neck trailer and they are required in most States...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Never seen safety chains on a 5er. If you had them tight enough stop it from falling off the hitch....you probably could not make turns.