Heading to the Alamo

LSPTpr

I dont get on this forum often but read it at least twice a week. Had my 3600 for 7 months and have gone to yellowstone and over to indiana and back down to New Orleans (scuba gear optional now). We headed to San Antonio for the week of Thanksgiving. Going to see Alamo and the Riverwalk. Would anyone have any other places of interest for 2 parents and a 13 yr old that is a big history buff. We stopping in Houston on the way back for the Trader Village Flea Market. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SmokeyBare

Check out this Web site for unusual and interesting road side places to visit while traveling... Better yet, have the 13 year old look and make some suggestions of where to go...

www.roadsideamerica.com

I looked at the Map of texas.... they have lots of places listed.

Have a great trip !!

jimtoo

Hi LSPTpr,
There are a lot of things to do in San Antonio. I don't know where your staying, but I highly recommend the Alamo Fiesta RV park out I 10 at Boerne on the West side of SA. Easy access to downtown SA and parking. The downtown area is hard to drive around in, but you can take their trolley like buses and go everywhere, visit the Missions, Alamo, El Mercado (just like Mexico, only safe), the museum. I think you can get a day pass to ride all you want for $3 a person or something like that. Pickup a brochure at what ever park you stay at and you will find things to occupy your time for a week or two. Have fun.
Jim

Don't forget to ride the river barges, also the Governors Palace is a good visit, and the little church near the Alamo (forgot the name) but has a lot of history.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
On the south side of the city there is an older military airport that has a museum of WW2 Aviation stuff. It's an indoor self guided walk around with exhibits of some pretty cool stuff. If I remember, it was only about $4 bucks (donation) I thought it was pretty cool. The zoo was very nice but there were some new exhibits that were under construction last Nov. but should be done by now. There's an Imax in the River Center Mall.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'll second Alamo Fiesta. We stayed there a few years ago with the Boomers and went into downtown San Antonio to walk the Riverwalk. It is very pretty during the holidays with the lights and decorations.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
LSPTpr said:
...stopping in Houston on the way back for the Trader Village Flea Market. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Skip Traders Village unless you like looking at junk. It is not a very good Flea Market. The RV park is ok. I would get up to the Woodlands and stay at Rayford Crossing, same park as the Texas Rally, and visit the area of Old Towne Spring or go north to the Outlet Malls or the Woodlands Mall. While in San Antonio, your wife might want to go to the HUGE outlet mall in San Marcos.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
LSPTpr said:
I dont get on this forum often but read it at least twice a week. Had my 3600 for 7 months and have gone to yellowstone and over to indiana and back down to New Orleans (scuba gear optional now). We headed to San Antonio for the week of Thanksgiving. Going to see Alamo and the Riverwalk. Would anyone have any other places of interest for 2 parents and a 13 yr old that is a big history buff. We stopping in Houston on the way back for the Trader Village Flea Market. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Austin is the capital of Texas and just about 45 minutes from San Antonio. In Austin you can visit the LBJ Presidental Library on the Univ of Texas campus, visit the State Capital (Taller than the national capital), visit 6th street (many night clubs), visit the state library and numberous other things. A little further north is Waco where the Texas Rangers Museum is located as well as the original Dr. Pepper plant. Dont forget Houston just 3 hours to the East. Many many things to see and do there.
JM Gratz
2007 Landmark which pushes the 1999 Ford F350 Banks Power Pak equiped

San Antonio also has Fiesta Texas/Six Flags and somewhere near the Hemisphere tower, they have a cool wax museum. I also agree with going to Austin next. On your way there, in San Marcos is the Aquarena Springs too. Don't know how long you're staying in the area but New Braunfels is inbetween San Antonio and San Marcos and their Wassailfest is Dec 6. It's downtown and it's like being in a little German town at Christmas. You'll need to park and walk down to the square (which is really a circle) and they also have the town lit up in the square. It's a must if you're in that area then. We're hoping to be there for that event. If you stay at the RV park mentioned above in Boerne, they have some really nice town events at Christmas time too.

jimtoo

Hey LSPTpr,

I forgot something. You need to go to New Braunsfels, take Hwy 46 toward Sequin about 3 miles to Clear Springs (wide spot in road). You will find the Clear Springs Cafe, an old gin made into a restaurant. They make the best ONION RINGS, and lots of them on an order, in the world. They also have great food to go with them.

Just in case you get hungry.:D

Jim

LSPTpr

thanks for info

thanks everyone, i have printed all your recommendations and letting the DW figure out what/how she wants to do it. my thing is just to golf one day with my son. We packing up tomarrow and out of here on monday morning I-10 w/b. Thanks again for the info.