Oil change- when do you do it?

tdharley

My Chevy diesel has a "oil life" percentage caluculator built in to the DIC.

I have read that it does not just keep track of the mileage but also RPM's and other driving conditions to make the calculation.

What is your thoughts, 3,000......4,000......5,000 or take the advise of the DIC?

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Forget the computer. Oil is the cheapest thing and the the best way to keep your truck running for a long time.

Change the oil every 3000 miles. And the filters also. Its the best money you can spend.

Ron

snuffy

I change mine every 4000 miles regardless and do an occasional oil analysis from Blackstone labs. I totally disregard the oil life monitor.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I thought the owners manual said to change the oil every 7500 miles.

I change mine every 6000 so I can get the tires rotated at the same time.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
The manufacturers have extended the oil change interval because of the better quality of oil available today. The oil change retailers have stuck with the 3,000 mile recommendation because it makes them a ton more money. I change my oil based on how I am using my truck. When I was working in Colorado I changed it more often. All the dust and heat, where I was working, was not good for it. If I am doing a lot of traveling and hauling, I change more often too. My DIC says I have 70% oil life left, but will change it as soon as I get to Houston, on Friday.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I change mine every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not. If you test will see there is better oil now than umpteen years ago. The DIC was initiated for a reason , to change oil when needed......Ken

SmokeyBare

I switched to Synethic Oil some time ago. I change it every 5,000 to 6,000 miles.

I rotate tires every other oil change. Doesn't seem to make them last longer... just wear more even.

I also paid Mr GoodWrench to change fluids on my Allison Transmission, the Rear Differencial and the Power Steering fluids after 100,000 mile mark. They flushed out each system and refilled each using synethic oils.

nhunter

I change mine every 6250m (10,000km). There is no need to do it sooner. The DIC in wifes Honda wants it done about every 8750 ( 14000km). The is better oils and filters now than when they can out with the 3000m rule.

DennisZ

The owners manual for my 2001 Ford says to change the oil at a 3000 mile interval if used in severe duty environment, short trips, and specifically if you tow a trailer for more than 1000 of those miles. I change mine at 3000 mile intervals because of the towing and environment where I live.

Dennis

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I use the DIC info and change out at 50%, usually at about 5000 miles, rotate the tires and dust off and touch up the oil on the K&N air filter, which I think keeps a lot of contaminents out of the intake system.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Change the motor oil around 5000 miles. The big question is how often change the oil in the transmission, front and rear differentials. The trans & diffs get real hot during towing and the fluid needs to be changed often. Most people forget to do this maintenance.

bowtorc

Your manufacturer has the real scoop. Pay attention to the recomendation and go a little sooner (like 10-20percent ). All engines are not the same, even horse power on the same block can change oil degradation rates. Injectors,rings ,pistons,liner or block hone patterns etc. all effect this. The manufacturer runs numerous test for their own knowledge and for the EPA. They like to attain the max. on mileage befors change but are also aware of what dirty oil does to reduce engine life thus warranty claims and PINS (percent of industry new sales). They have been doing this a long time and only a major mistake on their part will cause a problem. Also pay attention to the type (not brand)of oil recomended. Cheap filters can do a lot of harm also. I have seen brand new engine models come out of the test cell after only 8 hours or less and have enough carbon etc in the oil to require an oil change. These problems are monitored and corrected ASAP for the benefit of the company as well as the customer. Listen to them. Your satisfaction is what keeps them enployed. I was involved in the design, manufacture,assembly and test of diesel engines for 35 years and am very aware of what word of mouth by unsatisfied customers can do to profit.

Roger

Sundance_kid

Change oil & filter every 5,000 and service tranny every year. Have 61,000 on truck. Use to change every 3,000 now retired and putting on more miles, a little pricey at $60 o pop.

tstammer

tstammer
I change mine @ 10,000 miles, I have had the oil tested after 10,000 and was told I could go another 10,000.

billd

I do mine every 7,500 miles. In fact when I bought this truck I bought a prepaid maitenance plan for it. I pull into Ford and tell them time for service. It works out great. When I get to the end of the plan I should be ahead a little since materials and labor keep going up.

Bill

cmart

My dealer told me to quit changing oil so often, its a waste of money and bad for the environment. He said wait until the light comes on telling you to change or at least once a year. I was kinda nervous about this but the military only changes the oil in their vehicles when oil samples show it time for a change, regardless of miles.

snuffy

My dealer told me to quit changing oil so often, its a waste of money and bad for the environment. He said wait until the light comes on telling you to change or at least once a year. I was kinda nervous about this but the military only changes the oil in their vehicles when oil samples show it time for a change, regardless of miles.

Why would the military care since they don't pay for them like we do? I change mine every 4-5000 miles regardless and I expect it to last a really long time. My car has 356,000 miles on it and I change oil every 5000 miles. Gives me peace of mind.

Shadowchek

I Change my oil at 7,000 miles using synthetic oil. The previous owner did it every 3,000 on a ford maintenance program. I think I am going to start doing it every 5'000 just to make me feel better and be sure. It isn't cheap but relatively inexpensive compared to a new truck or engine overhaul.

Greg

driver311

i change my oil at 7500 mi when the computer says too. this is to keep my warranty in force.
when i get to 100000 in a couple months i will switch to synthetic.
will continue to change the filter at 7500 mi. oil will run 30000-40000 mi.
it will be oil sampled and will be changed when it gets bad.
when i change to synthetic my average mpg will increase 2-3 mpg.

driver311NoneNone

ct0218

Similar to what I do, and what I have done for a little over 30 years now in every car, truck and boat I've owned. Never had an engine problem. Synthetic from one end to the other.