Screws Loosening under Bedroom near Pin Box

Tool958

We've been having problems with the screws loosening on the skin under the bedroom, near the pin box, on the underneath side. We've tightened them several times and they keep loosening back up. I've tightened them as much as I dare without stripping them. Should I use Lock-tite on them or could it be something else sush as frame flex that is loosening them? Do they go into the frame itself or do they go into the wood framing? I'm just trying to figure out what to do to keep them in place without having to tear it apart to see what is going on. Thanks for any and all replys and suggestions.

ParkIt

If you can take it off or drop part of it down to inspect it that would be optimal. You can see if there is any damage such as water leak or frame flex, if there is nothing obvious try calling Heart Land customer service tomorrow morning and see what they suggest. I know you probably want to get it taken care of now though using lock tite before you've had a chance to figure out if why the screws keep popping out can be a real pain in the neck to remove them if need be.

Hope someone else with a Cyclone that has had the same issue will chime in soon and get this figured out.

Just had a thought: the screws that keep coming out, are they wood or metal screws? That could help you figure out what its supposed to be tightened against. It could be you've 'tightened' them enough to make a larger hole requiring a thicker screw to keep it tucked up.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If it's the screws holding the plastic trim around the pin box, ours did it for years. They just hold the trim on and there is little for the screws to grip in the fiberglass/luan covering. There was no flexing involved...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Take some pictures and contact Heartland. Take some pics hooked up and not hooked up. Better to ask the experts as soon as possible, in case it is flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tool958

If it's the screws holding the plastic trim around the pin box, ours did it for years. They just hold the trim on and there is little for the screws to grip in the fiberglass/luan covering. There was no flexing involved...
It's actually the screws holding the skin on. That's what's got me worried. There's flexing going on for some reason, that is loosening them up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Photos would help. Cyclones may have a different underhang than The other rigs. There are no visible screws on mine holding the skin on. Actually, until I ran some stainless steel self-tapping screws up into the framing to pull up the sagging skin, it was only held around the perimeter, and they're covered by trim.

wdk450

If the screws are unscrewing due to road vibration, you might coat them with RVers Goop then screw them back in.

If they are pulling out, that is another question.

Sumo

It also sounds like a vibration issue to me. I would use a dab of silicone on the screw threads. That way you can get them out if needed.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you refering to the screws that hold the small trim around the pinbox.....normal. A few of mine were screwed in the framework....some not. All 5ers have some normal frame flex at the pinbox. They have to or the metal would break.

Tool958

If you refering to the screws that hold the small trim around the pinbox.....normal. A few of mine were screwed in the framework....some not. All 5ers have some normal frame flex at the pinbox. They have to or the metal would break.

They actually go into the skin behind the pin box. I assume they are to keep the skin from sagging. I'll post some pics when I get to the camper to get them.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The ones that come loose were probably over tighted at the plant....close to stripped. Go get new screws ( you can get the same style) at any RV store and add them to the frame member in different spots. Put a wad of clear silicone on the ones that come loose and reinstall them.

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 and have the same problem with the screws on the pin box cover AND a set of 4 screws, with washers, on the underside of the bedroom overhang. Not sure what the 4 screws are holding together other than the outside skin from hanging down from gravity. I just tighten them every time I unhitch. Will keep an eye on this thread for a more permanent fix.

Tool958

So far, my solution was to take them out and use 3M 5200 on each screw hole before re-installing them. . I didn't put a lot on each. We just got back from about a 1000 mile trip and they didn't loosen up. I've used it for years on my boats and it's good sealant. It's flexible enough for all of the jolts and vibrations on the road or on water either one.