Picking up my 2013 San Antonio Tuesday. Any advice on this coach.

jake345

I just joined the forum and I am picking up the coach Tuesday. Just wondering if there are any folks who own this particular coach who might have any suggestions on making our trips into lasting memories.

Thanks
Jim

jimtoo

Hi Jim,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

My suggestion is when you go for your PDI that you check everything. Have the dealer hookup water, sewer drain, electric, TV's,,, you name it. Check from top to bottom,, front to back. Make sure every thing works,,, and you can work everything. Take lots of time and ask questions. If the person doing the PDI does not have and answer.. have them get someone that does.

If the Heartland family can help in any way,, just ask,, we are here for you.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

(Another great guy,, I can tell,,, his name is Jim.)

kowAlski631

Don't let anyone rush you through the PDI & ask questions. We actually did a video so that we wouldn't have to rely on our memories or decipher notes that "made sense at the time".

Most of all look forward to the memories you will make. Congratulations & safe travels.

Greengas

I just joined the forum and I am picking up the coach Tuesday. Just wondering if there are any folks who own this particular coach who might have any suggestions on making our trips into lasting memories.

Thanks
Jim

I really, really look forward to hearing about your experience with your new San Antonio. Ours is scheduled to be built the week of 25 July so we will be right behind you with our new coach. Please keep us all updated on how things go, what you like and what you wish was different, etc. I do have one question for you right now, what will you be towing with and what type of hitch will you be using?

jake345

I really, really look forward to hearing about your experience with your new San Antonio. Ours is scheduled to be built the week of 25 July so we will be right behind you with our new coach. Please keep us all updated on how things go, what you like and what you wish was different, etc. I do have one question for you right now, what will you be towing with and what type of hitch will you be using?
Hello and thanks for the response.. The use of video is great. I will definitely do that. I am towing with a F-350 and Reese hitch. We had a Holiday Rambler Alumascape a few years back, which we really enjoyed. Only had 2 slides so the San Antonio will be like a mansion...Can't wait..

Jim

doxiecouple

Can not overemphasize the need for a thorough PDI. When our San Antonio was delivered in March, we overlooked the TV alignment, since all that was available at the dealer was antenna. We later discovered that the satellite function requires a change over of wire configuration in the closet connection. It took a Dish Technician to figure it out. Most dealers do not have techs with this type experience/knowledge. Also, the location of the LP sensor was behind the recliners ??? Why is beyond me. I required my dealer to install a new one at the bottom step, near where LP would most likely be . That was important to me as a third career safety professional...you can use your own judgment on it. Also, get a complete walkthrough on the lighting switch(s) location for the storage compartments. Mine were not labeled in either location and took some trial and error to figure out. Switch for the forward compartment is on the rear view camera box and the switch for the athwartships (yes, retired Navy) compartment is on the auto level box. Also, be sure you have the new motor for the large awning. Dometic had a recall in May I think. I know there was a recall, just not sure of exactly when. My awning motor failed before the recall, but Dometic was prompt in sending a new one. Check the cabinets for dings and dents. We had more than I expected to have. You are getting a good quality rig. We are "almost" full timers and have not been to the stick house in three weeks, rather live in the San Antonio at the lake. ENJOY !

Snow

make sure you make the dealer show you everything and put enough water in the tanks to check for leaks and to check the water pump and water heater on both gas and 110 volts that were i got a shock HA! HA! and most of all take your time dont be like me i just wanted to hook up to that bad boy and get her home , check were the roof meets the both the front and rear caps for caulking another thing i found out the hard way , but while i was at camp hatteras over the weekend i was able to show another big country owner the problem i had i wish i would have talked to him longer or got is name,anyhow, hope you love yours as much as i do mine,other then a few minor issues its been a great RV good luck and god bless.

dave10a

Thanks
Jim
I have done many improvements which I expected, but I have to say the Heartland's QC is not as good as it should be. One needs to be handy at doing your own work. Don't let the dealer get over on you and if something is not right no matter how minor, don't accept the trailer. Taking it back to a dealer is a real pain not to mention the fuel to do so. Oh yes make sure the axle alignment is OK because the trailer wieght is not even on both sides for the San Antonio-- especially if you have a washer dryer. A quick check would be to measure the distance between axles when sitting level and loaded for travel. Heartland has the ability to align the axles which is not done at the factory and many dealers don't have the ability to do proper alignments. If the alignment tabs are centered, be very suspicious because that may be an indication they are not aligned.

danemayer

Oh yes make sure the axle alignment is OK because the trailer wieght is not even on both sides for the San Antonio-- especially if you have a washer dryer. A quick check would be to measure the distance between axles when sitting level and loaded for travel. Heartland has the ability to align the axles which is not done at the factory and many dealers don't have the ability to do proper alignments. If the alignment tabs are centered, be very suspicious because that may be an indication they are not aligned.

Hi Jake345,

Most PDI advice you're getting reflects the opinion of a majority of owners. But some of what you're seeing in these recommendations from other owners reflects something an individual went through, which might be an exception rather than the norm. With regard to the axle alignment suggestion, I doubt that any new owner checks that at PDI, nor would most consider it necessary to do so. But now that dave10a has advised you to check this, if you think you want to, many Camping Worlds have the equipment to do a Laser Alignment check and adjust the Correct Track on your trailer, if adjustment is found to be needed.

danemayer

Btw, if I correctly recall my conversation with the Lippert engineer who developed Correct Track, he recommends that the alignment check should be done with the trailer loaded the way you actually travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Greengas

Btw, if I correctly recall my conversation with the Lippert engineer who developed Correct Track, he recommends that the alignment check should be done with the trailer loaded the way you
actually travel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So, should I have my dealer do an alignment check as part of the PDI? We don't load our coach very heavy so the weight will be somewhat off but not by much.

danemayer

So, should I have my dealer do an alignment check as part of the PDI? We don't load our coach very heavy so the weight will be somewhat off but not by much.
I think you might be surprised at how much you actually travel with and how much it weighs.

I doubt any dealer is going to check axle alignment as part of the PDI. But if they're equipped to check it, they will probably be willing to sell you that service. Many Camping Worlds are equipped and charge $99 ($49 sometimes with a coupon).

My view is it's unnecessary on a new build. But if you want peace of mind, have it checked after you load all your stuff in it and whatever water you would typically carry.

dave10a

Well my San Antonio did not have the Correct Track and the axle were out of alignment when delivered from the factory. I did not realize it until I notice feathering on the rear tires after I had traveled to the west coast. I measured the distance between the front and rear tires and found 1.25 inches difference( which is out of specification) when the trailer was on level ground. Also the San Antonio model is significantly heavier on the left side which caused the difference. Heartland went to the trouble to add the correct track on 2013 models for good reason. Also I don't think it is good advice to ignore alignment at PDI and would expect the dealer properly align the axles free of charge before I accepted the delivery. Now I have do what is necessary to to align the axles at my expense. PDI is the only time an owner can make that kind of common sense demand.