Traveling to Cape Cod?

yport

If anyone is traveling to Cape Cod, MA in the near future, feel free to pick my brain! I work locally here for the Chamber of Commerce, and would be happy to highlight all the Points of Interest for you, suggest campgrounds, etc. to make your visit memorable.

mbopp

Thanks for the offer. We're booked into Sweetwater Forest in Brewster in a few weeks since we stayed there before. Our plans are to take a guided canoe trip out of the Salt Ponds visitor center, whale watch out of P-town, day trip to Nantucket, and bum around P-town for a day. Add the Cape Cod Museum too and the Brewster General Store. And eat one night at the Brewster Fish House. Oh yeah - bring the bikes for the Rail Trail and biking to the beach from the Visitors Center.

Anything else you'd recommend? I'm thinking about getting the stuff I need for a beach driving permit, is it worthwhile?

John T Bettencourt

Bourne Scenic Park is a nice campground and it is on the Cape Cod Canal. I have had a seasonal site there for the last 9 years. Lots to do on Cape Cod.

yport

Sounds like you put together a nice little vacation for yourself, covering many of the items I would suggest. I should put you on our staff here :)

Beach driving permits are $50 for the National Seashore for a week's pass. You obtain those at the visitor's center in P'Town up near Race Point Beach. You will be required to have (besides a 4 wheel drive vehicle) a jack, shovel, tow rope, and board at least 12"x12" to put the jack on in the sand in the event you get stuck. and tire gauge. Your tires need to be aired down to 15 lbs. It's fun to drive along the ocean side and head out to the P'Town Lighthouse.The whale watch is a 3-3 1/2 hour experience and you will see lots of whales. Stop at any of the Cape's visitor centers and pick up a coupon for $2 off all adults.

The Brewster Fish House is nice, but other great seafood restaurants in your area are the Lobster Claw at the Orleans Rotary, Arnold's just past the National Park's Visitors Center in Eastham, and the Lobster Pot while in P'Town. On a sunny day, a local favorite is the Sesuit Harbor Cafe at the Sesuit Harbor Marina in Dennis off of 6A. Great seafood with a great view, as you sit at picnic tables right along the water's edge.

If you journey into Yarmouth Port on Route 6A you will enter the historic Captain's Mile ... a stretch of road with 54 of the original sea captain's homes dating back to the late 1700's and early 1800's. The Yarmouth Visitors Center, as well as the large one on Rt 6 at the rest area between exits 6&7 both have the descriptive booklets on these homes ... and ... then take a ride up Center Street (off Rt 6A) to Yarmouth Port's Grey Beach to enjoy the 900' boardwalk out over the marsh grass (at low tide) or ocean (at high tide). Great gathering spot for sunsets too. On the south side, South and West Yarmouth have 38 professionally "carved" sand sculptures all over town...at businesses and the beaches. Professionals come in from all over the country to display their works of art. The Yarmouth chamber office has a map of them all...and they will last well into the fall (tents are over each of them to protect from driving rains.

Be sure to stop at Highland Light in Truro ... the oldest lighthouse on Cape Cod, and one of the oldest in America ... commissioned by George Washington in 1797. There is a museum and gift shop there .. open 9-5 .. and you can climb that one.

A ride back to Sandwich (at the bridge) and you would enjoy Heritage Gardens & Museums, which includes a large round building housing many antique and prototype automobiles. Also in Sandwich is the well known Sandwich Glass Museum, and Pairpoint Glassworks (the oldest glassmaker in America) where you can tour the glassblowing in process.

If you run out of ideas, stop at any one of the 17 Visitor's Centers all over Cape Cod - every town has their own - and we'll find more for you to do :) Enjoy your trip ... and safe travels.

yport

Thanks for the offer. We're booked into Sweetwater Forest in Brewster in a few weeks since we stayed there before. Our plans are to take a guided canoe trip out of the Salt Ponds visitor center, whale watch out of P-town, day trip to Nantucket, and bum around P-town for a day. Add the Cape Cod Museum too and the Brewster General Store. And eat one night at the Brewster Fish House. Oh yeah - bring the bikes for the Rail Trail and biking to the beach from the Visitors Center.

Anything else you'd recommend? I'm thinking about getting the stuff I need for a beach driving permit, is it worthwhile?

Note my comments in this thread

mbopp

Thanks for the info! The suggestions you made will give us a very full week on the Cape.