Sundance XLT - vs. Sundance

larryect

Hi,

I am cuurently looking at the Sundance 3000MK and the Sundance XLT 285TS, and maybe 245RL, I think I should look at the 277RL but the dealer doesn't have any of those......

I like the concept of the laminated structure of the walls, flooring and ceiling. But apparently the thickness of the floor and ceiling are much less in the XLT vs. the non-XLT.

One of my questions is about how effective the AC would be in the 285TS with a 15,000 BTU AC if say the temp outside was 110?

I'm also concerned about the layout of the bedroom in the 285 in regardes to television viewing. We like to watch some TV late at night and it seems to be the TV hookup is in an awkward postion. This is where it seems the 277RL might be a better choice.

I don't see much of any wardrobe space in the 245RL

Any experience or comments?

I realize the non-XLT is quite a bit more heavy. Is it worth the weight?

I have a 2004 Ford F350 6.0 diesel and cuurently tow a 1999 25' Layton 5th wheel and am looking in to moving up to something newer with a bit more room. My GCVWR is 20,000 and I have weighed the truck at 7,200. So I figure I can tow about 13k.

But, I am also concerned about increased length because of my parking situation at home.

danemayer

Hi larryect,

With just about any except a very small RV, if you'll be in 110 degree temps, you'll want 2 A/C units.

Rrloren

My 13500 btu a/c is OK under most circumstances but it struggles when we are in 90+ temps.
I agree in the temps. you mentioned you'll need 2 a/c's.

wrgrs50s

We have a 2012 XLT-277RL with a 15K ac and it's good up to about 95 degree days. Any hotter and you cant get below about 78 to 80 degree inside the rig from about 2pm till 7pm, then it starts coming back down by bed time. I thought about adding a second unit, but cant because the antenna is mounted too close to the vent in the bedroom. I purchased the XLT because I was concerned with the weight limitations with my tow vehicle. I'm not sure if the Sundance is insulated any better than the XLT. I have friends with the Sundance that has 50 amps and they are considering a second air for the same reasons, but at least there's is pre-wired.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Our XLT has one 15K AC unit. Works ok in most temps. 110 degree it will struggle. 2 ACs is the way to go. The XLT models are limited to one. Only 30 amp service, or that was what was offered in 2011. Love our XLT 29RE. Great to watch tv. It is a great unit for what it is intended for. A light weight, medium length (about 32'), mid profile fifth wheel. We are already eyeing up our next unit. Want a little more space, both inside and out. The 3 of us spent 10 days hitting the rallies out to Goshen and back with no problems. Could have gone another 10. But you can always use a little more room. I know it will be a rear entertainment though. Good luck.

larryect

Thanks for the replies.

The salesman showed me cutout samples of the flooring and roofs of the different units. I think the Sundance had about a 5" laminated roof and the XLT had a 3" roof. Unless I am getting it confused with a higher end model.

I kind of think it's funny calling these XLT's "Lights". They are heavier and seem to be built better than my old 26' Skyline that I think has a dry weight around 5600 and GVW of 8400.

larryect

BTW,

Is there any way in this forum to view the older posts at the top of the page rather than the new ones at the top?

danemayer

BTW,

Is there any way in this forum to view the older posts at the top of the page rather than the new ones at the top?

At the top right of the screen, click on SETTINGS. Then look down the left side for GENERAL SETTINGS. Then scroll down to find THREAD DISPLAY MODE.