Cabinet Drawers

C

Craig Marten

When my wife and I looked at the Landmarks at a RV show we were very impressed with the drawer slides. We visited the dealers lot to look at the Grand Canyon and bought it. We were disappointed when we looked closer because it was an older model with the euro slides. Our first long trip we experienced problems with the drawers. Either they were hard to get open or fell off the tracks. The large drawers in the dresser at the front of the trailer fell off the track. It is easy to overload the drawers due to the size. This weekend I replaced the drawer slides in the front with KV 1260 slides and KV # 1284-3WP sockets (socket holds the end of the slide that is stationary. The longest rails are $6.48 and the socket $1.77. For those of us with the older Landmarks this is a good fix. Obviously Heartland realized that the euro rails were not suited for their use. I also added the latchs like the cabinet doors have and feel that this will keep the drawer shut in most cases. The KV 1260 have latches that keep the drawer from coming all of the way out.

I have read a lot of the threads on this site and I have had my share of frustrations as have many of you. I still feel the Landmark is a quality product with growing pains when it comes to quality contol. What I think we all have to remember is that if you take any brand of trailer and have only the owners of those trailers comment you will see some warts in all of the brands. We had a 2000 Cardinal for 5 years and had very few complaints. However I have had other Cardinal owners feel they are crappy trailers.

My 2 cents.

cruisin condominimum

crusin condominimum
cabinet drawers

We have had problems with the slides on the cabinet drawers in the bedroom too. The dealer "fixed" one of the large bedroom drawers but it's still hard to open and probably won't be able to take much of a load. Also, the trim around the bed frame is not fixed to the plywood frame and if the mattress scoots over the trim falls off. I have now glued this in place and it's okay but seems it is a quality control issue for the factory. Otherwise, we are quite pleased with our Golden Gate and it pulls great with the F350, crew, DRW.:)

Gary F

A while back Scott Tuttle from Heartland posted a detailed response to this issue of the drawers coming open while trailer is in travel. Depending upon what stlye drawer guides you have, its rather a simple fix to attempt yourself.

At the end of the drawer rails that are attached to the drawer sides, you will see that they taper down. This is where you can tweak the ends with plyers to effect the holding resistance of the rail when fully closed.

I know this probably sounds confusing but if you attempt to make the adjustments, look at the whole drawer mechanisim carefully and you will see how when propely adjusted, these drawer guides function as designed. In fact after I discovered this procedure, I removed all of the child guards that I installed in frustration regarding this issue.

Gary F

Cheryl

Our problem wasn't with the drawers coming open, but rather the fact the the side "glides" broke off.

caig you are 100% rite i also had a cardinal and alot of owners think they are junk but it is like buying a car or truck or home you will have trouble no matter what brand it is if you dont you are not using it and i dont know about the rest of you but i am going to use it and if it breaks fix it i cant wait to take delivery on our Bighorn this weekend and start putting on some of the extras that i know i want.By the waywe havnt had a traile because of my health and you cant believe how excited i am to get another trailer i didnt think i would ever do this again so be greteful and just enjoy what you have.
maybe i should hush thanks
Joel

jimtoo

Hi papajoel55,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

It's great that your health is back to where you can go camping. Think of joining the Heartland Owners Club and attend some of the rallies where you will meet some of the best people, Heartland Owners, and eat lots of good food and make friends for life.

Welcome again and enjoy the forum.

Jim M

caig you are 100% rite i also had a cardinal and alot of owners think they are junk but it is like buying a car or truck or home you will have trouble no matter what brand it is if you dont you are not using it and i dont know about the rest of you but i am going to use it and if it breaks fix it i cant wait to take delivery on our Bighorn this weekend and start putting on some of the extras that i know i want.By the waywe havnt had a traile because of my health and you cant believe how excited i am to get another trailer i didnt think i would ever do this again so be greteful and just enjoy what you have.
maybe i should hush thanks
Joel

thanks jimtoo we are really glad to get back out and go camping and as long as i can i will.life is full of surprises and good people and you sure have alot them here i hope to get to know some of them personally.This sure seems like a good site i am looking forward to taking delivery and then i will be the proud owner also.
Joel