Installing a generator

I bought a Honda EU2000i generator for my 3670 which came already with the generator prep option. As I am away from my rig for the next two weeks, can someone tell me if I can install it myself and wire it to the electrical system of the rig or is better to have it installed by an electrician? Thank you in advance.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, the EU2000i is a great portable unit and can be used in series with another unit to double the wattage. I am not sure but I don't think it was designed for a hard wired application and the cost of wiring, fuses and exhaust modification might not be cost effective.

boatdoc

Keep that little Honda portable. You'll be amazed how often it will come in handy other than the fiver. When you can, double it up with another to run the air if need be on the trailer. They are a nifty genny.

jbeletti

I agree with boatdoc. I have yet to use my EU2000i with my Landmark but on many occasions, I've used it for other non-camping uses.

Jim

osims

bsims
I have used my two hondas many times with my Bighorn and they work great , but they are not meant to be installed permantly in a 5er. You cannot alter the exhaust in any fashion, they do make duration tanks for them, I do not want gasoline closed up in my compartments.

bowtorc

We leave our gen. in the truck but wired in an auto disconnect at the converter and then ran a wire from the front of the 5th wheel to the generator so we can have power to the unit while traveling so it is nice and cool when we arrive. It also allows you to set the gen. on the ground but a few feet away from the unit in any direction so as to avoid fumes due to wind direction. I have a connection at the generator and at the front of the unit that are like the regular hook up at the normal power supply so we can disconnect the cable and store it when not in use. Don't do this without an auto disconnect. You can buy them for about $75.00 on the internet.

Roger