What do you recommend for a battery configuration? And is the 7 year warranty worth the money?

Linc

Our RW comes with one 12 volt battery which I think is the standard configuration. I am wondering if one 12 volt battery is enough? If you believe one 12 volt is not enough for the battery system, do you recommend 2- 12 volt batteries or 2- 6 volt batteries? Two 12 volt batteries are cheaper but I am told they will not last as long as two 6 volt batteries. I understand a two battery system may be overkill but my wife and I are new to this activity and we do not know exactly how we will be using the unit. Since we are avid backpackers my guess is we will not always be hooked up to land power. And, is the 7 year warranty worth the extra money? My guess is yes because the cost is a little over $300 per year and some of those appliances may cost that much to fix or replace. Thanks for your input.

jnbhobe

Two 6V will give you the most reserve power but not enough for any boondocking over a couple of days. If you are handy forget the warranty, they are tough to deal with and will always try to find a way to get out of paying.

RAHanock

We do a fair amount of boon docking in the forests in Arizona. We have three 27 series batteries and have changed almost all of our light bulbs to LED type. The current usage ratio is around 9 or 10 to one, standard LED. So, it depends on your plans. We also have a generator. Even with LED bulbs, three batteries, a solar panel, we still need a generator to get us through some days.

scottyb

I changed mine to 2 6V and now I am going to add 2 more 6V for a total of 450 AH (225 usable, 50% rule). 2 did not quite get me enough storage to run everything I want to run off of an inverter. I have changed about 2/3 of my halogen bulbs to LED's. If you are ordering your rig, I would check to see if LED light fixtures are an option. You can run about 10 LED's on the power of 1 halogen bulb.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
An extended warranty is ALWAYS a crap shoot with the dice loaded in favor of the seller!