Rear View Camera to see 5th wheel hitch....

Bob Vaughn

I just purchased a Crew Cab GMC 3500 standard bed with a tri-fold cover. I expect I will have trouble seeing the 5th wheel hitch when I am backing up. I wonder if any one has installed a rear view camera up where the cargo lights are looking down into the truck bed?

danemayer

Bob,

I used a couple of stick-on dots to help me with alignment. One on the pinbox, one on the rear window, one on the mirror. By the time they fell off, I had a good feel for how to get aligned without them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Gizzy

I had that problem and purchased a small back up camera (about $60) that wires to the backup light and I have it mounted on a homemade wood, portable upright w/velcro on top to attach camera to. It sits about 6 inches from hitch and gives perfect view of alignment. Works for me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've got a decal on the cap, lined up with the pin. On my back window, I've got a decal of Grumpy the Dwarf. Line them up in the rear view mirror and it's almost a done deal. BUT, I drag my keister out of the truck to check alignment once the pinbox clears the end of the tailgate. Normally, the wife is with me, so when it's close, I put her at the wheel and give her final maneuvering instructions.

GETnBYE

I got Wayne the Swift Hitch camera for a gift a year or so ago and he loves it. He backs with camera only because of a very high round gas tank and he can not see the hitch at all. The camera is great and has a magnet so you can put it where ever you like. It is wireless also. I ordered it here: http://accessories.etrailer.com/search?w=swift hitch camera

They were great to work with.

SilverRhino

I use a simple magnet, "L" bracket and old cell phone antennae that sticks to the fifth wheel This allows me to be able to "see" over my tool box.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I use a simple magnet, "L" bracket and old cell phone antennae that sticks to the fifth wheel This allows me to be able to "see" over my tool box.

Can you post a pic of this? We have a similar issue, not being able to see over the fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

OK, I admit..I'm the cheapest one on here. With the arrival of the new to us F-450 I was wondering how I was going to line up the hitch and pin box. Then picked up a small rock and placed it in the center of the tri-fold cover. Worked great, showed just were to center the hitch, and when finished you can leave the rock where ya found it, LOL
Now I also was wondering if a person could mount a backup camera near the third brake light to show the hitch area, thanks for the ideas.

SilverRhino

Can you post a pic of this? We have a similar issue, not being able to see over the fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There where photos attached in this link .

This system has worked well with both my original box and the new hauler bed. I am planning on adding a backup camera in the bumper because the bed drops down for the last 18 inches and which makes knowing where the bumper is very difficult. When I add that camera I may add a "license plate bracket camera" to the back of the tool box that would then be used for hooking up to the fifth wheel.

Mizmary

The DH made me hook up the other day. We took the headrest out of the center rear seat and now if we line up the hitch with the center of those pegs it is perfect for hooking up. I managed it the first time - and I'm an AWFUL backer

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There where photos attached in this link .

This system has worked well with both my original box and the new hauler bed. I am planning on adding a backup camera in the bumper because the bed drops down for the last 18 inches and which makes knowing where the bumper is very difficult. When I add that camera I may add a "license plate bracket camera" to the back of the tool box that would then be used for hooking up to the fifth wheel.

OK, duh, I didn't see the link in the original post. Reading on tapatalk, I didn't see it. Looks like a great mod that would help!