Cabinet Door Issue

Theresau

The left side cabinet door at the top of the entertainment center broke off its hinge last evening when we closed it. We had even added felt stoppers to help with the impact on all of these doors. While attempting to fix it we noted that problem appears to be that the hinge is screwed to the door using plastic molleys. But the plastic molleys are not tight enough in the door considering the pressure of the spring loaded strut. Very poor design - should have used screws - we can't use screws now because molleys leave a large hole. The strut is pushing on the molleys and sooner or later the molleys are going to give as this one did which is where we keep the directv receiver. Strut appears to be too strong.

Considering adding wood glue to keep molleys in place. We have 10 of these doors (open from the top).

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
you could also measure the diameter of the hole and hope to find a matching diameter wood dowel. Glue that in the hole and use wood screws to hold in place. put glue on screw since you will be going with the grain of the wood

Greengas

Another thing you can do, and I know this might seem strange, but use wood toothpicks or wood BBQ skewers. Fill the hole with them and then just put in the screw. I've used this method many times and always with good, long lasting results.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A place like Hobby Lobby or Michael's may have the smaller diameter wood dowel rods you'd need. Or as Ronn suggested, fill the holes with pieces of toothpicks (I'd squirt some Titebond III in first, then stuff the toothpicks in). One other possibility might be to use the next size larger screw diameter with the existing mollies to expand them a bit more.

Gas20

I have used gorilla glue on 4 of mine and have not had anymore problems. I was going to do all of my cabinet doors but decided to fix them as they come up. I was looking at them and it is a poor design, I do wood working as a hobby and have built cabinets and entertainment centers and would not use this design, but guess it is what is cheaper and quicker.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Another thing you can do, and I know this might seem strange, but use wood toothpicks or wood BBQ skewers. Fill the hole with them and then just put in the screw. I've used this method many times and always with good, long lasting results.

I agree, the toothpicks used with wood glue or Gorilla glue do really work great.

donr827

I had several hinges pull out of mine. I used the Gorilla glue only and they have been good since then.
Don

Theresau

Had our second door go last evening. I'm not happy about this at all. Don't expect this in a brand new unit. And from what I can tell by earlier threads this has been a known issue for some time. HL should have corrected by the 2014 coaches.

wonsibes

I have had my North Trail travel trailer only ten weeks and three hinges have already came out. This is just one of the issues that I have had.