Replacement Propane Cover Door

EandJ

Does anybody know where I can pick up a replacement access door for the plastic cover over my propane tanks. A couple of trips back it did not arrive with me to the campground. :p

I had read on rv.net that someone had found replacements on amazon, but I had no luck.

wdk450

You can always call Heartland Service with your VIN number for most any part. The number is on the top left of the portal page. You get a discount for being a HOG paid member.

EandJ

I thought of that - but I was hoping to find it elsewhere. I can't imagine it costing very much for a flimsy piece of plastic and I thought I read on here that there is a $10 or $15 minimum handling charge for all parts shipments from Heartland.

If I can order it somewhere else - there is always something I need that can usually get me to the minimum for free shipping.

pegmikef

If you are talking about that cheapie plastic lid, I gave up trying to find onw and just made one out of a quarter inch plywood and a couple of hinges. I just used the old retaining screws to hold in in place an a bungee cord to hold the lid down. It has work for over two years. I will get a couple of pix and post them here in a few.

Here're the pix.

Attachments

• cover.JPG
    cover.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 60
  • coveropen.JPG
    coveropen.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 64

pegmikef

Hehehe, sorry the shop is closed, but it is really simple to make. As you can see, there is not much to it. The narrow part is 1 1/2 inches, the wide part is 5 1/2 inches, and it is 21 1/2 inches long. I just put holes where the original retaining screws are in the narrow strip, hinged the pieces together (using small nuts and bolts), put a hole in the wide part to bungee cord it to the frame, glued a piece of one by on the inside to keep the quarter inch plywood from warping, and spray painted both sides using a can of rustoleum spray enamel. I had everything in the garage so it was free, but I imagine it would be about five bucks of materials. I just figured it I did find another lid, it would go the way of the first one (which lasted exactly to trips . . lost it after leaving the park on the second trip).

EandJ

Well it was worth a shot. :)

I'll get around to something. I figured I wasn't the only one who had a cover decide to leave. Ours made it to TN and back. Then on the 4th trip in our trailer (only about sixty miles away) it blew off.

I know a whole cover is only about $30, but is seems like such a waste to replace the whole thing.