Madison campground Yellowstone strict?

Kblock108

I have reservations for Madison next summer, they have a 50 feet limit on truck and trailer combined length limit. We are at 55, anyone had an issue with length at Madison?

pegmikef

I don't know about strict, but I have been places where it was marginal for even fifty feet to traverse. It may be some kind of limitation on the road or site size.

dewwood

We were there last year and they were pretty insistent when we tried to make reservations. We did not stay there but went through the campground and there were units that were longer so I guess it depends on who is there when you get there. We did stay in a Forest Service CG just outside of the west entrance which was quite nice and some of the sites had electric which was nice as we had seven inches of snow one morning when we woke up. There were several large sites in the Forest Service CG, I believe the name was Bakers's Hole, it was right on the Madison river where it flows out of the park.

wdk450

I stayed at Baker's Hole Last year at Memorial Day for 2 weeks preceding the Gillette National Rally. I thought it was great to be in a pine forest (we even had a visit from a local buffalo herd 1 day), 2 miles from all the city conveniences, 2 miles from the Yellowstone gate, have electric hookups (water tank fill is available at the entrance, sewer dump for a fee at the campgrounds in the city), for a Golden Age Passport price of about $15 a night. Lots of big rigs there, too.
No reservations, though. I was easily able to find a campsite on Memorial Day weekend.

Here is a link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gallatin/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=5573&actid=29

btbaillie

I made reservations in January at Yellowstone before I bought my Sundance. The reservation was for 35 ft. and under. Our new Sundance is 37ft. so I called Yellowstone and asked for a 40ft. site, they were sold out.

I asked if I came anyway, would my unit fit in the 35ft. site and they said NO and I would be told to leave.

I made reservations at KOA in West Yellowstone for August.

Bruce & Lu

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
We were there last year with the same size differences. They were able t place us on a site that let the overhang go into the next site and dropped the trailer slightly into the street. I would guess it depends on who you talk to.

evolvingpowercat

The camping spaces in Madison CG are mostly 65 or 70 degree arc curves I had a space rated for 40 foot max length RV plus tow vehicle and had just under that with my Heartland Edge M21 and my SUV tow vehicle. There was not much margin for a longer combination in that type of space rate 40 foot max. You would not be allowed to stick out into the loop drive with either your RV or your tow vehicle as the drive is aready one way and just wide enough as it is. Because it not a stright back in space or a straight pull thru the length limits are pretty valid in my view. Of course there is some margin so depending on who checks you in you might be allowed to try to make it work. But please don't be a bad neighbor and stick out into the loop drive. Park your tow vehicle in the visitor parking spaces by the meadow if you can't park at your camp space without sticking out. Also the rangers patrol the loops frequently and will likely force you to not block the drive anyway and could ticket you or evict you for repeat offences.

wdk450

For me, Bakers Hole seemed a best fit, best cost. In the West Yellowstone city area there must be about 15 private campgrounds, plus more just about 15 miles West across the Idaho border.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I went over to Fishing Bridge Campground last year when we were staying at Grizzly in West Yellowstone.
I couldn't believe how much it had grown from 20 years ago.
There were many bigger rigs in there and I feel they can now accomodate just about anything.
Fishing Bridge is a great location, right close to everything and in the park, near Yellowstone Lake. Trace

Last edited: