Generator storage location and size?

Kblock108

I am looking to get a generator to keep in my 33qb, although I am paranoid of theft and keeping it in my truck bed. I know I can lock it in, but is there a spot in the trailer that you store yours? I am leaning towards the honda 3000, this way I can use it at home too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I keep my Honda 2000 cable locked in the covered truck bed. It weighs 50 lbs., and I think the 3000 is a bit more. Something to consider when wrestling it out of a storage compartment.

brianharrison

Honda EU3000 is 134 lbs dry. I am aware of some installations in trailers on slide trays; however I worry of exhaust getting back into trailer through open basement doors or slide seals. Installation on a tray/box that attached to the back of the trailer (bumper or after market frame hitch) - would be your next bet.

I also keep my Hondas in the truck bed and ran a cord to the 3000 when camped (sold the 3000); or yard out the 2000's now that I have them.

Brian

Sumo

I have my 3000 on the back of my 5th wheel. Also had it their for years with no problems.
I did remove the wheels and attach it to my bumper. If some one really wants it they'll have to carry it off.

100_0085.jpgIMG_0868.jpgIMG_0875.jpg

wdk450

I just had my Boily SI3600 stolen from the back of my truck. It sat forward of the 5th wheel hitch, weighed 75 lbs, and was chained to the hitch with a high security motorcycle anti-theft chain. I think someone dissembled one of the lifting bars (which I had beefed up with steel pipes and JB Weld in the socket head screws holding it) The intact chain was left in place through the 5th wheel hitch. There is a picture of it here: http://boliygenerator.com/
What ticked me off the most is that the thieves had to do a fair amount moving and walking around in the truck bed and no alarm sounded. I plan to upgrade my truck alarm system.
Meanwhile I didn't want to be without a generator, and have changed my philosophy to "If I need Air Conditioning, I check into an RV park". So I found a quiet, efficient, 2500/2200 watt inverter generator from ETQ. Here is a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170963854066?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 . THIS time I recorded the serial number, and got out my soldering iron/black marker and used it to mark the plastic case with my California Drivers License Number (that has gotten a stolen tool box returned to me before). Unfortunately, where I had the old one in the truck is the best place to keep the new one. Maybe the bad guys won't cut through the heavy handle molded into the case halves to get the chain off, my CDL markings will deter them, and 1 or more alarms will scare them off, along with me getting a cover for the truck bed to keep things out of sight.
BTW, I found I could prop up the 5th wheel hitch flat with a prop stick under the hitch plate and a bungee cord stretching over it pulling down. That way I can use a canvas cover I plan to get from McMaster-Carr.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We store our 2 Honda 2000's and our 6 gallin fuel cell in our front compartment which we had customized with slam latches and custom locks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mrsfish

How and where did you get the front compartment converted to baggage slam doors? Please and thank you

For20hunter

At our Heartland Dealership in Fife WA (Fife RV). $180.00 for 2 slam latch locks and a 3/4" door.

Next time its up there they are putting two Master Lift gas cylinders on it so it will stay open like the side compartment.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374634058179.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374634058179.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 48

For20hunter

I didn't want my generators stored in a compartment that only had 751 locks, which anyone with any RV has a key to.

pegmikef

We store our 2 Honda 2000's and our 6 gallin fuel cell in our front compartment which we had customized with slam latches and custom locks

Last week during the PDI for our new BH, I mentioned that I had planned on storing my Honda 2000s and associated fuel in the front generator compartment and the guy conducting the PDI with us said "I really don"t like to see fuel stored in this area because of the batteries and hydraulic system electronics causing a potential of a combination of sparks and fumes", and I agree with him (just had not thought of it). So my fuel will stay truck bed.