Upgrade tires or axles?

todalake

I upgraded to 7000# axles and 'G' tires. Now I think I should have stayed with the 6000# axles and 'E' tires and then upgraded to Michelin 'E' tires after it got here. The new BC came in with Freestar tires so the $1500 upgrade still has crappy tires on it. Could have done nothing and upgraded 6000# axles to new tires for that price. Or will I be surprised and find out that the Chinese tires are now good. I talked to tire dealer about a trade and he wouldn't take them at any price. Said he had a lot of people coming in with Freestar with separations. New GY 614's about $250 a tire mounted. Need to factor in $1000 for whatever Heartland you get if it comes in with Chinese tires. Hmmm, if they cut corners on tires where else did they cut? This doesn't just apply to Heartland but any trailer manufacturer.

Tom of Ypsi

My belief is that all Chinese tires are bad and this a problem that needs to be corrected. If all of these tires were on cars or trucks there would be a federal investigation. I think they are waiting for someone to get killed and a big lawsuit. The first rv manufacturer that steps up to the plate and shows some responsiblility for the tires will be the big winner. As far as cutting corners I think all muanufacturers are doing that just take a closer look around. Good coaches are now just going mediocre taking some of the finer points that made them popular away.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Todalake, I also went with the 7000LB axles and the G rated tires on our new Bighorn 3400RE. I was pretty much disappointed when I saw the tires were chinese made. I'm not sure what I will do about them, though. I can afford to change them to Goodyears, but I don't have many miles on them at all. I guess I will continue to monitor them when I make fuel stops, that way maybe I can replace them before one blows and prevent any damage to the rig. I guess I will pretty much play it by ear....... OP

happyrover

Tires

We,, might as well jump in here on the tire issues. My Landmark came with the Chinese tires on them, May 2007, and I traded up to the Chinese best tire on the recommendation of a tire dealership. He claims he has placed these upgraded tires on school buses and handicap buses for 8 years and has never encountered a problem with them. They are Maxxis Bravo Commecial LT, G rated LT235/85R16. I have put 14,000 miles on them with no problems whatsoever. They show no signs of wear and no air loss. Maybe I'm just lucky. The dealership at Pigeon Forge took the old tires and charged me $400.00 to mount, balance and install the new ones. I thought it was a good deal.
Mel

todalake

Maxxis tires

happyrover,

I googled the Maxxis tires and they are made in Taiwan. Thus they are Chinese tires too, BUT all the posts I have seen about them is positive so $400 was a good deal. Maybe it only mainland Chinese tires that are the problem.

Loco

I have been running Maxxis tires on my service truck for over 6 years now and love them. The Maxxis headquarters are in Norcross GA and I have talked to them about there Trailer tires. I am going to put their ten ply 15s on our Cyclone this year. I have also run their trailer tires on our old 28 foot trailer and never had a tire go on it after changing to Maxxis. If you look all trailer tires they all are made over seas. I get about 25000+ miles out of a set of rear tires on my service truck and that is on a 12000 lbs truck.