Vented vs Ventless washer/dryer

Linc

We are going to install a washer/dryer unit in our Road Warrior, maybe. I understand the drying differences in the Splendide vent and ventless units and discussed the units with the factory. I understand a controlled environment is better for the ventless unit because of the water temperature need to be colder for proper drying. I also know that with a vented unit a 4" hole is drilled in the rig and a dryer vent cap is installed over the hole. We live in Michigan and intend to use the rig in all four seasons. So my questions are these. Is a controlled environment that much of a concern when we will be using the rig in all four season weather? And with a vented unit, will the vent set up cause extra heat loss when it is 20 degrees and the wind is blowing? Any input is appreciated.

danemayer

Re: Vented vrs Ventless washer/ddryer

We use our vented dryer in the winter in the Colorado mountains without any impact to bedroom comfort level. Doesn't matter whether it's 20F or -20F.

Garypowell

I don't use my rig in those extreme temperatures. But frankly I like the idea Of "air turnover" which the vented provides. Water retention inside an R/V can be a serious problem so venting seems to be a needed thing not to mention your clothes come out dryer.

porthole

Retired

I would not install a ventless dryer.
Mainly because you are exhausting the air inside, moisture and whatever else is in the air. And ventless units are less efficient at drying

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

I would not install a ventless dryer.
Mainly because you are exhausting the air inside, moisture and whatever else is in the air. And ventless units are less efficient at drying

I have to agree - the heat output into the Rig in summer along with the water vapor at any time would be a major concern for me too.

Westwind

We Have a vented Splendide in our 2012 Bighorn, after reading the postings on this forum and other I came to the conclusion that the 110 dryer performance was reported to be better on a vented unit. I also had concerns about making sure that the moisture was vented outside the trailer not in. We snowbird in Florida but this year we had nights in the upper 30's which is warm if you compare it to winter in Michigan but we were very comfortable since the heat in the FW travels up to the bedroom. Go with vented you won't be sorry.

kowAlski631

Vented vrs Ventless washer/ddryer

Ours is vented (just like ours was in our stick house). Used the dryer in temps in the 20s & 90s with no problems in maintaining the BH's temperature.

Lance & Jo

We have had both versions, ventless in the boat for about 13 years and vented in the trailer since 2010. Ventless systems condense the water out of the cloths rather than depinding on air circulation and take MUCH longer and much more water to dry a load. I had to use ventless in the boat as there was no way to install the vent and keep it above the waterline of the boat. We haven't spent much time in cold weather with the trailer (one of the big reasons to have it in the first place) but did venture into the frozen north a little early last spring and were snowed on several times. I didn't notice any cold intrusion due to the dryer although ours is mounted in the closet and we normally keep the door closed. We use our dryer now a lot but in the boat generally hung the cloths to dry as it took a really long time to dry a small load with the ventless version. Bottom line is if you intend to actually use the dryer, rather than hang up the cloths to dry, I can't see any reason to use the ventless model.