Eternabond vs Caulk

wdk450

Gang:
I am wondering if I can just seal all roof joints, end caps, and attachments with Eternabond tape; along with slide top joints, and use Eternabond clear window seal on the window joints to eliminate caulk completely? It seems to me that the requirement to check caulk annually is an admission caulk is going to fail over time, while Eternabond touts itself as a "Life of the RV" fix on their website.
I read here about all of the water intrusion problems in other's trailers, and am thankful I pretty much stay in relatively dry California.

ParkIt

To some extent you could probably go that route on flat surfaces considering where you live. Just do a good prep and caulk any corners where they join (slide outs in particular), eternabond probably wouldn't get a good seal on those. You would still need a bead of caulk under the stripping where the front cap bolts onto the rest of the unit to keep it sealed tight but you don't use dicor and can't see it anyway.

Q: How are you planning on using it on the roof joints? Are you taking off the EPDM or just the front and back where the caps attach?

mobilcastle

If for any reason you needed to remove it I think caulk would be much easier. Try putting some on a surface other than your RV then try to take it off.