Best way to disguise screw holes?

twohappycampers

Think I'm finally ready to tackle making new window coverings for our Big Country. Currently have venetian blinds, which I love and will keep. I've taken down the brown fabric side panels. The brown fabric covered valances are still in place. I'm still deciding on leaving the valances up and covering them somehow, or removing them. I'm hoping to be able to use the existing wrought iron rods and not have to buy new rods. Thing is, with the valances in place, the rods sit right up against them, leaving hardly any room ... sorry, too much thinking out loud I guess. Also, the venetians are mounted off-centre on the windows, looks wretched. It's not noticeable until you take down the side panels. If anyone is willing to share any good ideas, I'd love to hear them. My REAL question I started out with is: what is the best way to fill in the screw holes so they won't be noticeable? I likely won't bother with the holes that will be covered up with any new window treatments, but those little plastic doo-dads that held down the bottoms of the side panels have got to go and they're right at eye level. Thanks for any suggestions :)

GOTTOYS

Best way would be to add some finished trim around the window similar to the casing used in house. I can't think of anyway to disguise the holes in holes in the wallboard other than that...Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a product called Color Putty. It can be found in most paint stores and some big box building centers.
It comes in a variety of colors including white so you can mix the color that best matches your needs.
I do like Dons idea though. Been thinking about doing that for a few years now.

Peace
Dave

ParkIt

Best way would be to add some finished trim around the window similar to the casing used in house. I can't think of anyway to disguise the holes in holes in the wallboard other than that...Don
That's what I was missing...going to put up wainscot. It would trim out the windows nicely...after they are checked and re-caulked.
Thanks for the idea!

twohappycampers

Color Putty - thanks! I'll go shopping now armed with a name. This is my project, so there'll be no wood trimming or wainscoting going on around here, but it's a good thing to keep in mind some time down the road. Thanks for the ideas. Lorna

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Color Putty - thanks! I'll go shopping now armed with a name. This is my project, so there'll be no wood trimming or wainscoting going on around here, but it's a good thing to keep in mind some time down the road. Thanks for the ideas. Lorna
We did like Cookie suggested. I found some stuff in tubes. Bought a light color and a darker color and blended them until it was "close enough".