Pulling a 5th Wheel with a RamBox

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Am considering a 2013 Ram 3500 MegaCab SWB SRW and like the idea of the RamBox. RamBox is not available with the 5th Wheel Prep Package so maybe the RamBox does not provide enough clearance for a 5th Wheel hitch, anyone have experience with this?

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Tool boxes built into the side of the bed, very nice but you do loose some bed space outside the wheel wells.

ramdually4100king

I have a 2009 mega cab and the rails fit between the wheels. I have been told that on the new dodges with the rambox the rails in the bed of the truck need to be cut to fit. Research on the web normal width is 50". Rambox width is 48".

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Thanks, I'll check the width of my hitch. We use a B&W and it doesn't use rails so maybe it will work. Anyone else with experience please chime in.

vangoes

Randy, it"s a real possibility that the rear of the king pin could hit the ram box in a tight turn. Some people have experienced it hitting the rails of their bed covers when rails effectively narrow the box by 2-3 inches on each side.

scottyb

Your B&W should easily fit between the wheel wells. It must have something to do with Ram's OEM prep. I'm not familiar with it, but I love the one on my Ford with the B&W Companion. In/out in a couple minutes. I wonder if Reese makes the underside portion for Ram's also.

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Vangoes, That's exactly what I'm concerned about. I like the idea of the RamBox and I really like the B&W Companion hitch. Just don't want to order or purchase one to find out it won't work with our Bighorn; especially since we full-time and only have one vehicle.

porthole

Retired
I have a roll top cover and the rails narrow the bed width by 6" of so.

My pin box frame will hit the rails if I am not careful backing into some spots.

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
I talked with a Ram Truck Rep who said Ram does not recommend the RamBox with a traditional 5th wheel hitch. Only option would be to convert the Bighorn to a gooseneck but Heartland strongly discourages that so I'll just stick with a regular bed. Thanks for all your replies.