2011 Cyclone 3814 external refridge vent question, why latch closed?

I have the 2011 Cyclone 3814, we are heading out for our maiden voyage and have turned on the refridge to get it cold for the trip, I have unlatched the vent on the outside of the coach that I believe is the vent for the fridge, is there any reason to latch it closed, or should it generally be open?
when we had our Motorhome, we traveled with the refrigerator on, we have also heard of some people suggesting the appliance should be off during travel for safety reasons, thoughts on that?

In seeing other vent threads, this vent may not be related to the fridge at all but the stove? Does anyone know on the 3814 what this vent is connected to?

Snow

Not sure but that vent could be the vent for the hood above the stove that's how my BG is ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the others that the vent you are looking at is for the over the stove vent. Probably through the microwave.
As for traveling with the refrigerator on, some do and some don't. I do.

Peace
Dave

Crumgater

If that's the over-the-stove vent, ours will re-latch itself during transport - which I suppose is a good thing, so it doesn't flap all the way down the road and eventually flap itself off.
We do have to remember to check it when we turn on the vent fan, though... as it won't open until we unlatch it again.

We also travel with the fridge operating on propane. Unless we're on the ferry - they require it to be secured before you get on the boat, and they do check.

whp4262

I have a Cyclone 3914 and I think the vent you are talking about with the latches is the stove hood exhaust fan outlet. As far as traveling with the fridge on I've had a pumper pull, a Class A and two 5th wheels. On all of them I started the fridge 12 to 24 hours before I planned to leave and didn't shut it off till I got back home and the food unloaded and never had any issues. All of the RV fridges I've had in my units had a thermocoupler that would turn off the main gas flow if the flame were to be blown out while traveling, the Class A would use 12v when on the road and gas or electric when parked.