The capacity of the fuel tank on my 2008 F250 Super Duty

btbaillie

The capacity of the fuel tank on my 2008 F250 Super Duty, extended cab with the short bed, is listed as 30 gallons in the user manual. It is also listed at 30 gallons in on-line sites. When I let it go down to almost empty I can only get 24 gallons to fill it. I am wondering if the electronic setting is wrong and I should have the dealer check it. This will probably cost me money.

I would really like to know the actual size of my fuel tank. I am still kicking around a 50 gallon Titan tank but don't want it invest $1400 if it only gives me an extra 20 gallons.

Bruce

scottyb

I have always had the same issue on both Fords and Chevys. My last Chevy had a 34 gal tank. Even when I ran it down to O MTE, I never put more than 30 gal in it. Same thing with several Fords before that, except when they had duel tanks. I hated it when they changed to one tank. My Titan fuel tank is supposed to hold 67 gal. If I run it beyond E and down to 0 MTE, it will hold around 60 gal.

vangoes

Bruce, the owners manual is incorrect. The tank is only a 26 gallon tank. I have an 08 and went through that frustration also when I first bought the truck. Always been my biggest complaint with Ford.....putting such a small tank in a truck made to haul!

Lynn1130

Chevy did the same thing with early Duramax. My tank was 26 gals which was way too small when towing. Later models had 35 gals, I think but that is still not adequate for towing. I corrected that problem with a 52 gal Titan.

pegmikef

I don't know about 2008, but my 2011 F250 super duty crew cab six foot bed had a 26 gallon tank. The long bed has a 37 gallon tank.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Something to consider, some fuel nozzles "click off" when they get to a certain level. We've discovered our aux. 115 gallon fuel tank can only take about 100 gal of fuel, before the pump nozzle refuses to allow any more fuel in (we've even tried fueling from both fuel inputs of the tank, thinking it was an internal baffle issue, but not the case.)

I don't know if that would be the case all the time, everywhere, but your actual fuel vs. tank size may vary.

ncc1701e

Well, Ford has never learned and still puts that darn little 26 gallon tank in F250s. I know, because that is all my 2012 had. I did replace the stock tank with the Titan 50 gallon tank. Everything about the change has been great except for having to do it twice. My first tank failed internally. Titan says it was the first failure of this type they had ever had. Would I recommend the Titan tank, yes. Even with the failure it was still a good investment. Titan replaced the tank under warranty and paid the local Ford dealership to install the new tank.

brianharrison

Titan tank was one of the best investments I made for my truck. Would do it again on a new truck right away.

Here are a couple of pics of my install.

Brian

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I had/am having a fuel tank built fit in the left front corner of the bed. It will hold 34 gallons + a little and combined with the 36 gallon in my '13 GMC.....70 gallons is as far as want to drive in a day.

mlburst1

We replaced the 26 gallon tank in our 2012 F250 CC short bed with a Titan 50 gallon - makes for peace of mind while traveling.

marvmarcy

FWIW: Because of the shape of many fuel tanks, there is some part of the top of the tank that can't be filled, and the fuel pickup is an inch or so off the bottom of the tank to avoid picking up dirt and water. I have two tanks labeled 150 gal, but Volvo rates them at 125 gal because of the type and location of the fill neck (although I can get more than that in the tank). In practical use, the fuel gauge shows empty when there is still about 25 gal in each tank.