Does yours RV have a propane grill connection?

Sandie

After having our unit for almost 2 years we just discovered that we have a propane line off to the side of our steps to run a propane grill or whatever. Does yours have this?

Greengas

Re: Does yours have this?

I was shocked to learn that heartlands top of he line Landmark does not have a propane quick connect port and it is not even something they are willing to consider (I spoke to the brand manager and the area sales rep). I would think at that level it would be standard equipment.

Eddhuy

Our Gateway 3200 has one right where the outdoor grill would go on the Gateway 3650. I think if there is a floor plan, for the model you purchased, that includes an outdoor grill, all the floor plans will have the same plumbing run to where the outdoor grill is located. I may be wrong on this but that seems to be the case.

jbeletti

I was shocked to learn that heartlands top of he line Landmark does not have a propane quick connect port and it is not even something they are willing to consider (I spoke to the brand manager and the area sales rep). I would think at that level it would be standard equipment.

Be aware that per RVIA code, when we tap the propane line, it's after the regulator. In other words, it's a low pressure connection. That being said, there are fewer choices (without modifying them) of grills designed to work on the low pressure system. My sense is this is one of those features actually used by 10% or fewer of those that have the connection on their RV. If Heartland were to incorporate this feature and the cost on 100% of the RVs built, it would be imposing a feature not used by most but paid by all.

This is just my take on this and not an official Heartland sales and marketing response.

I prefer to use the high pressure side of the propane system to feed a grill. I use an adapter at the tank and screw my grill hose onto the adapter. In this way, I don't have to modify the grill. And the adapter moves with me from RV to RV.

Here again, just my thoughts, opinions and experience.

szewczyk_john

We carry a third propane bottle for use with the grill. A 20 pounder which fits very snuggly into a milk crate for storage.

danemayer

Grill manufacturers are the other side of this coin. I recall a number of threads where someone bought their choice of grills only to find out it requires a high pressure connection and won't work with the RV's low pressure connection.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have one on our 2010 ElkRidge, had one on the NorthTrail and had a nice grill that worked great with them both, (came with the NT purchase). Unfortunately the grill was stolen out of our basement at our storage lot, so we opted for an O-Grill and use propane canisters now. Just didn't want to mess with modifying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Our previous "other brand" trailer had a propane hookup and quick connect brackets to attach the grill to the side of trailer. We only used it a couple of times because we didn't like the heat, grease and smoke that close to the side of our trailer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Weber Q200 on the folding cart with a 10 lb. tank in a milk crate under it allows me to set up the "kitchen" where it's comfortable to cook. Usually at either end of the awning, yet not directly under it. The tank doesn't take much space in the back of the truck in transit.

TXTiger

We carry a third propane bottle for use with the grill. A 20 pounder which fits very snuggly into a milk crate for storage.

I do exactly the same thing right down to the milk crate for travel. As Jim says most grills won't work with the built in quick disconnect because it is low pressure. Therefore you MUST modify the propane supply at the source or carry a separate bottle in a milk crate.

scottyb

We have one but not near the patio where we grill. I don't see much use for it for us.

On another related note. Have you ever read the label of the exchangeable 20# propane bottles? They are only guaranteed to have 15# in them. Our propane guy brought that to my attention when he was filling our bottles. I never noticed this but rarely exchange bottles anyway.

Crumgater

Yep, we have the extra connection, but haven't found a use for it yet.
We carry an extra 20lb tank in the back of the truck for our mega grill... we're normally cooking for a crowd.

-T

evolvingpowercat

My Edge has the Propane Quick Disconnect accessory outlet too. What is available there? High flow propane at low pressure, how much depends on what kind of regulator Heartland put on your particular RV. Generally, it will be at least enough to deliver well over 100,000 BTU per hour total. For reference a $ 1000 3 burner Weber Genesis with side burner uses 50,000 BTU per hour with all the burners on set to high.

Modern RV Propane Regulators lower pressure to 11 water col. inches or 6.4 ounces pressure. The type at your RV tanks are generally two stage high flow so that the pressure is maintained even when all your gas using items are on at once with capacity to spare. This pressure is what goes to your gas appliances inside your RV and to the accessory outlet if your RV has one.

I am still looking for a good how to article that documents step by step what to do to convert a residential gas grill made to use 20 lb propane tank to use the RV quick connect. Personally I use a Coleman Road Trip and just continue to use the 1 lb. bottles with it. When I discovered that the cost of the RV quick connect hose was over $ 30 at Amazon.com or Camping World it was more cost effective to keep using the 1 lb bottles. It would take a long time to pay back the cost of the $ 30 hose and would have the work to convert my grill and my outdoor 2 burner stove that work with the 1 lb bottles. to use the RV quick connect hose system.

dalspot

We have one on our Sundance.

Never used it because I didn't want to waste the gas in the connection line from the port to the grill. Plus I didn't want all that cooking so close to the side of the RV. Also didn't know most grills would not work on it.

We just buy the small bottles of propane at Walmart. Go through maybe 2 a season.

Karen

Manzan

We have one on our 21 FBS and we do use it. I also made a 12' extension hose so I can put my RVQ (which I don't particularly like) on a picnic table so it is not underneath the awning. An adapter is available for a Weber Q so it can be used after the regulator. Will get a Q when I find one at a good price. Used the RVQ last night when it was 95° outside for some brots. Much better than adding some more heat inside.