Coby Stereo/DVD - Hated by some Feared by many

It seems the most discussed problems on this forum are tires and the Coby stereo/DVD. My concerns about the Coby were the quality and durability and the fact that is operates on 110VAC not 12VDC. I like some music and news while boondocking.So my fix was: bought a 12VDC AM/FM/CD player and AM/FM antenna on E-Bay. Installed them on the upper shelf of my 3055RL entertainment cabinet, hooked into the 12VDC wiring and used four of the speakers ( sound also goes to the 2 bedroom speakers since they are factory wired to two of the living room speakers).No Dolby 5.1 or "surround sound", just basic 2 channel stereo.I already had a quality DVD player that I installed where the Coby sat and connected it to the TV. The TVs audio is connected to the AUX ports on the 12VDC AM/FM/CD and I watch DVD movies with four speaker sound. A couple of technical details: The radio is made for a vertical mounting, so I mounted it on a stained board that fits the opening of the upper shelf. (It also hides the wiring and the antenna). Put a toggle switch inline on the 12VDC wire going to the radio to stop any battery drain that powers the digital clock on the radio. The AM/FM antenna is a 16" (approx) rubber flexible unit that I have laying on the shelf behind the new radio. The reception seems reasonable but I'll test it in the field. I don't want to drill holes in the walls for an outside antenna mounting.Maybe this could get some thinking for more Coby workarounds.