2014 3010RE Pantry Mod

happykraut

The DW was not happy with the two 4.5 in shelves in the pantry. Hence the following:
This pantry3.JPGis what it looked like before I started this project. I removed this IMG_0171.jpg heavy bulky shelf unit from the door. The second shelf unit was on aluminum tracks. I removed the tracks and shelf. Next I removed both 4.5in shelves. This is done quite easily by prying up the thin plywood from both shelves and then removing the frame. Part of the frame can be used later for the four 4in brackets. I had two white wire rack shelves IMG_0175.jpg left over from a job that I had done many years ago. Home Depot, Lowe's etc carries these
shelves. Normal installation in a home closet is to mount them with the lip pointing down. However, in this case, I installed them with the lip pointing up to keep stuff from falling out. After cutting the shelves to width, use these IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0180.jpg to fasten the shelves to the back of the pantry. Before you fasten them, make four of theses IMG_0176.jpg and slide them onto the front sides of the shelves. Just a plain block of wood could also be used to hold up the front of the shelves. Fasten the shelves to the back wall using three c-clamps. IMG_0183.jpgFasten the front of the shelves IMG_0182.jpgusing two blocks per shelf. Since I installed the shelves upside down, I used 4mm coroplast IMG_0190.jpg and cut it in four strips and laid it between the protruding ribs going down the middle of the shelves from side to side. This way I had a smooth surface IMG_0191.jpg on the shelves. The finished mod looks like this. IMG_0181.jpg A full 12 inches of depth per shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:

olcoon

Re: 2014 3010re bh pantry mod

Now I understand why you were too busy to cap some cup cakes! I noticed that you still got a bunch Bernie!

Garypowell

Re: 2014 3010re bh pantry mod

I like this mod! We have just made the decision to sell the house and go on the road full time again (did it between '96 and 99). I have been very concerned about weight and storage space and your idea helps solves both!

i think what heartland has done is great and stylish but I like making the place "ours"

thanks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great job! I could see shelves being mounted in all sorts of places. Thanks for the details!

pegmikef

Very nice job Bernie. I am going to show it to DW later today (if I can get her out of the new rig long enough.