Fitting Solar Panels to Sundance roof

mystic

Hi,

I've got 2 x 85W solar panels to fit to the roof of my 2900MK this week. Was wondering if I need to find the roof trusses to screw some mounting angle aluminuium into, or is there enough support just screwing into the roof material itself.

Also need to find a good roof sealant here too.

thanks

Peter

SmokeyBare

Mystic,

I used a rubber plug type of nut to hold the Solar panels on our BigHorn. I have heard these called different names... the one I know is " WELLNUT" I used ones that were an inch or more in length and were 1/4 - 20 Thread. I used Stainless Steel bolts so they wouldn't rust. Below is a link I found that shows you what I mean by WellNut.

http://www.imperialinc.com/grp305.shtml

I sealed the aluminum angle brackets I built to attach the solar panels to the surface of the rubber roof. The Product was made by Dicor. It's called.... Dicor EPDM Rubber Roof System Lap Sealant. Below is a link that shows the product.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=924

I felt the sealant was a good addition to the bolts for holding them firm to the roof. I did not look for the roof trusses... just drilled where I wanted the panels located.

Hope this helps...

timk

Peter, It wouldn't hurt to look for the trusses. But in reality, they wont add much to the holding power of your screw. But now wait a minute, if your trusses are wood it will add a bunch. I was thinking about my aluminum trusses, not sure what you've got. Two or three #10 screws at each corner is plenty enough to keep the lil buggers from blowing off. You can make a cheap bracket that will tilt 4 ways very easily out of some 2x2 aluminum angle, and a little flat stock.

mystic

Hi,

Love those "wellnuts". Will look out for them in Australia.

I have got wood trusses, and I have seen a lot of mention of that Dicor product, just can't buy the stuff here so far. People I have tried to get it from say to just use silicone, but I have to live in this, and I know silicone won't last at all. I'll have to enquire further. Someone must have that dicor sealant here.

thanks

peter

dtomlinson

I just installed an AM Solar system on my Sundance 3200ES. They specialize in solar systems for RVs. I installed with their recommended sheet metal screws into the OSB board and sealed them up with the Dicor rubber caulk. I put on 2 - 100W panels with their Sunrunner 22 system. Check it out on www.amsolar.com . I had installed this system on my last motorhome with 3M special double back tape on a fiberglass roof, and it held up real well for the three years I used them. I also had my dealer install 2 extra group 24 deep cycle batteries (total of 3). This is a good system for me.

ptillett

Guys, are you mounting your solar panels permanently to the roof, they are up there while you roll down the road?

Thanks.

fishn2dmax

Yes, We're mounting them to be permanent / fixed. My panel is only 3" up from the roof and is much lower than the A/C unit and about even with some roof vents.

I just ordered a new Sundance 3200ES and would love to put some Solar Panels on the roof (permanently), Are they costly to buy and have installed at a dealer, say a couple 100w panels?

fishn2dmax

Alligator,

Yep...they're expensive!!! Depending on the wattage of the panel, prices can range from $12 / watt to as low as $4 / watt. A typical 100 W solar panel will run $550 -$600 each - wholesale, uninstalled. I've seen a few for just a little less on E-bay, but don't be fooled, not all solar panels are equal. Make sure to buy a panel with highly efficient photovoltaic cells. Some of the newer panel technology continues to produce impressive amount of power even on cloudy days. Some panels ( typicially those that have very small rectangular cell arrays covering the whole surface of the panel) drop off very fast during less than perfect sunlight conditions and angles. While not always the case, the larger semi circle or full circle cells tend to be the higher output producers in less than ideal conditions.

As far as installation costs, solar panels are typicall easy to install on a RV. Two panels installed should not be more than two hours labor. You will need a power controller that controls the amount of power from the panel to the batteries. A two hunded watt controller can be pricey, but can be had for around $150 or less. A typical highly quality honda 2000 watt generator can be purchased for what many people pay for 100 Watt solar panel installed. That said, over the life of the panel it, will cost less and produce more power than the generator will during its life. If you're a typicall weekend camping warrior, the Solar panel is not the best investment. If you're a full timer, then I would highly consider the solar alternative.

Good luck.