Class A Non-commercial License Required in California

Lndeatr

Well I discovered something very interesting today and thought I would share. First a little foundation so this makes since. I am a long time RVer and like to take 3 day to 14 day trips with the family. This month I traded our 32' Cougar for a Cyclone 300C ti so we could haul the Harley and have real beds for the kids. We have taken it on 1 trip so far over the 4th of July and we loooove the rig. We have 2 more trips coming up the first 2 weekends of August.

Now with that info... I am a Lieutenant with a Sheriff's Office in Northern Ca and have worked here for 25 years. I like to think I am proficient on the laws regarding driver's licenses. So I am updating the policy for our Mobile Command Vehicle, a Renegade Command build on a Freightliner frame. 32 feet long, air brakes and GVWR of 33,000 lbs. When it was built 5 years ago, they included a small kitchen and a very small bathroom so it could be classified as a motorcoach so only a class C licence would be needed to drive it. The rest of the rig is all business and has no resemblance to an RV. In short, while at the local DMV researching what license is actually required (Per DMV and Valley Division CHP Commercial Unit, Class B Commercial is required based on the GVWR) I discovered that any 5th wheel trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs to 15,000 lbs requires a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement and anything with a GVWR over 15,000 lbs requires a class A non-commercial license. They advised that until recently CHP nor DMV have been putting much effort into enforcing this. Working for a Sheriff's Office, we do enforce the basic traffic laws but the more detailed issues such as this are seldom dealt with. So what a shocker, I have been driving without the right endorsement for years when I had the Cougar behind me and now when pulling my new rig, I am driving out of class, a big no no. To be legal I have to do the following (cut and pasted from DMV website):

• Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
  • Pay the application fee.
  • Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application.
  • Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the past 12 months.
  • Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
  • Pass the skills test.
  • Pass a driving test while towing the type of vehicle you wish to be licensed for.
I was able to stay and submit the application, take (and pass) the Class C, Class A Non Commercial, and Motorcycle tests (still not sure why I had to retake the M1 again), fill out the medical questionnaire (at least I didn't need a physical), take the vision test, and take a new picture. Now I feel like a 15 year old again as I have a permit that requires me to have a Class A licensed driver in the passenger seat if I pull the trailer. I was able to pull some strings for the pre-trip inspection and can go for the skills test and driving test any morning without an appointment, which never happens at a California DMV. My plan is to do this on Monday morning. The trick is I need a passenger with a Class A to go with me..... Hopefully all goes well...I will update.

Obviously there are more consequences (career wise) for me than the average Joe for driving out of class such as a ticket, park the ride, or even have it towed if you encounter an officer having a bad day. God help you if you are the cause of an accident. From what I have read, many in the forums choose to drive overweight but I haven't seen any posts regarding the license class requirements even though almost all the posts talk about weights considerably over 10,000 lbs GVWR and 15,000 GVWR but I have yet to dig through all the posts. I know some states are less restrictive than CA. We will be driving to Texas in December so I guess I'll have some more researching to do... anyone know the rule/laws for Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas?

Mizmary

Aren't the laws for the state you are licensed in? I can't imagine california can enforce licensing issues on tourists towing through the state from less restrictive states?

olcoon

I am a retired Deputy Sheriff in MO. It's always been my understanding that under the reciprocity agreements the states have, if you are legal to drive in your state of residence, you are legal in all states. Kind of like in MO if your truck is licensed over 18,000 lbs, you are only issued 1 license plate, and it must be on the front of the vehicle. I only have 1 license plate on my truck as I'm licensed over 18,000 lbs. I'm legal to drive like that in all 50 states. I've heard that some people have had some issues with that when driving out of state, but I haven't had any....yet.

wehavefun

You need to follow the laws of the state you are traveling in, for instance a few years ago you where required to wear seat belts I'm New York State but some neighboring states did not have a seat belt law, if you didn't wear a seat belt you received a ticket, same with texting whike driving.

You need to be aware of the laws of the state your traveling in, no matter what your state or country laws are, the state or providence laws are to be obeyed!

As far as registrations go you need to obey your state laws for registration, however all states and providences will agree on enforcement of GVWR and you should be knowledgeable in your vehicles weights and ratings!

Example, if you license your one ton daully for 7, 000 lbs and a three axle toyhauler for 10, 900 ( 17, 900 gross registration to stay under 18, 000 ) but your truck really has a 13, 000 GVRW and your camper has a 18, 000 GVWR ( 31, 000 )

You had better follow the laws and regulations for 31, 000 lbs if not you are illegal and severe consequences could be in your future.

RVs get some exceptions that commercial vehicles do not, road tax, mileage tracking, log books etc, be happy with that don't keep trying to take more advantages then your allowed, if your in an accident and there are personal injuries you will be liable and broke!!!!

In short I think there will be more states requiring special licensing for RV's you will need to know, because they won't be notifying us with mailings or phone calls.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
If you notice, the first things listed are:

• Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
  • Pay the application fee.
  • Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application.
  • Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your Class C license within the past 12 months.
  • Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A Trailers law test.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
  • Pass the skills test.
  • Pass a driving test while towing the type of vehicle you wish to be licensed for.

We are VISITORS to California, not residents. These rules Only Apply to residents.

scottyb

Hello Lndeatr. Where in N. Cal. are you? You will be legal in Texas with your class A. Our laws on RV's, No CDL is required. A Class B Operator is required for any GCWR of over 26K. A class A Operator if GCWR is over 26K and towing a trailer with a GVWR over 10K. I think this is in line with a majority of the states. I also understand that there is reciprocity on licensing in all states.

Gas20

This is just a way for California to make more money as seeing that they are just about broke. They will not give any tourist pulling a fifth wheel a ticket, can you believe what an uproar that would cause, plus hurting the tourist industry. If they enforce this on anyone then I will be taking my money to other state that like the dollars instead of a stupid law. Just my opinion.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Here's a link to a very useful site that has information for all states as well as links to each state's DMV website
RV Towing

Lndeatr

Scotty, Ca also has the 26,001 GCWR rule also, anything over is a class B or higher. The commercial license requirements seem to be pretty much consistant between states. The recent attention to the RV license requirements is where it gets kinda tricky. I know that none of our deputies know about the requirements (I did an impromptu pole in briefing this morning) and in my experience, with the exception of the commercial units, most CHP Officers don't hassel (or maybe don't know) any of the RV drivers UNLESS they get into an accident. Then it is by the book, especially if a death occurs. I have heard there is a push to create grants for special enforcement of RV laws which usually mean checkpoints at the scales or select areas on non-freeway highways. They do this quite often with the IRS and stop all vehicles that run on diesel to make sure they are not using farm fuel. Either way, I need to be legal in California so I will jump through the hoops.

Lndeatr

I am sure this is just for Ca residents as it is not a rule of the road but a rule related to Ca drivers licenses.

wino2

I am sure this is just for Ca residents as it is not a rule of the road but a rule related to Ca drivers licenses.
So since you now know the law, are you going to have your deputies start enforcing it in your county. If you are, would you tell us what county so we can all stay clear of it.

Lndeatr

I don't think anyone is enforcing the RV licensing laws at this time. For one, no one knows what they are except the CHP commercial enforcement guys. In would be more concerned about what happens when an uninsured idiot crashes into the rig and then I get a ticket for being out of class. Big fines plus the rig sits or is towed until a licensed driver comes for it. The battle with the insurance company would not be cool either...

wino2

But the insurance companies aren't asking if you have the proper license to tow your RV. So then what. I live in this state and agree with Gas20 just one more ridiculous law that Sacramento has passed.

olcoon

Here is a good one for you. I'm sure most or all of you have seen places that have buggy rides/carriage rides at certain times of the year. We have an area in Kansas City, MO that does this during the Thanksgiving-Christmas time frame. The people driving them (keep in mind these are horse powered), by law must have a valid CDL to drive them!

wino2

Here is a good one for you. I'm sure most or all of you have seen places that have buggy rides/carriage rides at certain times of the year. We have an area in Kansas City, MO that does this during the Thanksgiving-Christmas time frame. The people driving them (keep in mind these are horse powered), by law must have a valid CDL to drive them!
So if they get stopped and don't have the proper license do they impound the horse and buggy? Did some of our politicians move to MO?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

I am sure they have a type of chauffers license but they are taking payment for a service so I could possibly see that. I have to have a chauffers license to drive a church van in Louisiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdually4100king

Here's a question for you all. My Truck is licensed in NE, Drivers License is from NE, and the Cyclone is licensed in CA and I am in the military and stationed in California. So with all that and what I have found on the web since I am in the military licensed in NE I can follow their laws and register the trailer in Nebraska later... Correct?